Finding the Relationship Between Net Work and Change in Kinetic Energy

In summary, the conversation discusses a situation involving a sled being pulled by a constant force and increasing in speed. The equations W=Fscos(θ), K=1/2mv2, and ƩF=ma are mentioned. The problem asks for the relationship between the net work and change in kinetic energy, and the solution involves finding s as a function of v and using the chain rule to integrate a differential equation.
Yosty22

Homework Statement

First, let us consider a sled of mass m being pulled by a constant, horizontal force of magnitude F along a rough, horizontal surface. The sled is speeding up.

Let us now consider the situation quantitatively. Let the mass of the sled be m and the magnitude of the net force acting on the sled be F. The sled starts from rest.

Consider an interval of time during which the sled covers a distance s and the speed of the sled increases from v1 to v2. We will use this information to find the relationship between the work done by the net force (otherwise known as the net work) and the change in the kinetic energy of the sled

Use W=Fscos(θ) to find the net work Wnet done on the sled. Express your answer in terms of some or all of the variables m, v1 and v2.

Homework Equations

W=Fscos(θ)
K=1/2mv2
ƩF=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

The only thing I could do so far is the equation for Fnet. The equation is unsimplified, so it is a little messy, but I attatched a picture of the Fnet equation.

Since Wnet=Fnets, I assumed that if you multiply by s, the distance, then the s would cancel out and you would be left with the net force equation without the s in there. However, I'm very confused by what it is asking. It says that W=Fscos(θ), but the answer cannot have the variable θ in there. The only thing I could think of is that since it is being pulled on a flat surface, then cos(180°)=-1, but since the sled is speeding up in the direction of the net force, work has to be positive. I cannot figure out what I should do next to try to solve this.

Thank you in advance for the help.

Physics news on Phys.org
You obviously would like s, the distance covered when the velocity reaches v, expressed as a function of v. Then you can say
Δs = s(v2) - s(v1)
and then W = Fcos(θ)Δs. (it should be obvious what θ is here. It's the angle between the force vector and s. And, it's positive since F and s go in the same direction. You nearly got that one right).
What is F in terms of a? Everyone knows that one! Newton knew it over 200 yrs. ago!

So how do we get s(v)?
Hint: use chain rule to get dv/ds and integrate both sides of an easy differential equation in s, v and constants. t is eliminated by the chain rule. Or maybe you already have a formula handy for coming up with s(v).

When you get your answer you should compare it with the difference in kinetic energies of the sled at v1 and v2.

Related to Finding the Relationship Between Net Work and Change in Kinetic Energy

1. What is the difference between net force and net work?

Net force is the overall force acting on an object, which is the sum of all the individual forces acting on that object. Net work, on the other hand, is the total amount of energy transferred to or from an object due to the application of a force.

2. How do you calculate net force?

To calculate net force, you must first determine all the individual forces acting on an object, then add them together. Net force is calculated using the formula Fnet = ΣF, where Fnet is the net force and ΣF is the sum of all the individual forces.

3. What is the relationship between net force and acceleration?

According to Newton's second law of motion, the net force acting on an object is directly proportional to its acceleration, and inversely proportional to its mass. This means that the greater the net force, the greater the acceleration of the object, and the smaller the mass, the greater the acceleration.

4. How does net work affect an object's kinetic energy?

Net work is the total energy transferred to or from an object due to the application of a force. When net work is positive, meaning energy is transferred to the object, it will increase the object's kinetic energy. When net work is negative, meaning energy is taken from the object, it will decrease the object's kinetic energy.

5. Can net force and net work be negative?

Yes, both net force and net work can be negative. A negative net force indicates that the forces acting on an object are in the opposite direction, while a negative net work indicates that energy is being taken from the object instead of being transferred to it.