Finding the Remaining Pressure of a Gas After Removing 2/3rds

• Thread starter Const@ntine
  • Start date
  • Tags
    pressure
In summary, the pressure of the remaining gas is 4.28 atm, which was found by using the formula PV = nRT and converting the temperatures from Celsius to Kelvin. The initial pressure was 11.0 atm and the initial temperature was 20.0 C, while the final temperature was 75.0 C. The phrase "remove 2/3rds of the gas" can be interpreted as either removing a portion of molecules or scooping out the top 2/3 of the gas.
Const@ntine

Homework Statement

In a container we have a gas, at P = 11.0 atm & T = 20.0 C. We remove 2/3rds of the gas and increase the temperature to T = 75.0 C.What's the pressure of the gas that remains?

Homework Equations

PV = nRT

The Attempt at a Solution

Normally this would be a regular "put the numbers in the formula" exercise, but I'm having trouble understanding just what "remove 2/3rds of the gas" means. If the gas was, say, a block of wood, I'd be removing 2/3ds of its mass. With that logic, I figured it was the n (moles) that were decreased, and that the volume V was kept the same (same container). But I didn't get the wanted result from this, so I was wrong.

Then I figured maybe the change happens so fast that the gas doesn't manage to spread and have the same Volume again, so both n & V should be n' = n/3 & V' = V/3. That didn't work either. So I'm kinda stuck on what that phrase means.

Any help is appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you're original method is on the right track, but you didn't include your final answer in your post, so I'm going to have to guess that what I did here is different.

Pretty much baked into the definition of the gas is the property that it expands to fill any container, so I wouldn't worry about changing the volume of the gas. Besides what if I took molecules randomly out of the gas instead of scooping out the top [itex]2/3[/itex]? That's also a viable interpretation of "remove [itex]2/3[/itex]."

The first thing we need to do is solve for [itex]n_iR/V[/itex] in terms of the initial quantities. Doing so gives [itex]P_i/T_i[/itex]. Now we need to solve for [itex]n_iR/V[/itex] in terms of the final quantities, where [itex]n_f=n_i/3[/itex]: [tex]P_fV=n_fRT_f=\frac{n_iRT_f}{3}[/tex] so [itex]n_iR/V=3P_f/T_f[/itex] Now we equate the two representations of [itex]n_iR/V[/itex] and solve for [itex]P_f[/itex]: [tex]\frac{P_i}{T_i}=\frac{3P_f}{T_f}[/tex] so [itex]P_f=P_iT_f/3T_i[/itex]. At this point, feel free to plug in the numerical quantities and count your sig figs. Right now it looks like if you plugged everything in as is, you'd get a pressure in [itex]\text{atm}[/itex], so no need to change units unless you really want to.

Likes Const@ntine
Daniel Gallimore said:
I think you're original method is on the right track, but you didn't include your final answer in your post, so I'm going to have to guess that what I did here is different.

Pretty much baked into the definition of the gas is the property that it expands to fill any container, so I wouldn't worry about changing the volume of the gas. Besides what if I took molecules randomly out of the gas instead of scooping out the top [itex]2/3[/itex]? That's also a viable interpretation of "remove [itex]2/3[/itex]."

The first thing we need to do is solve for [itex]n_iR/V[/itex] in terms of the initial quantities. Doing so gives [itex]P_i/T_i[/itex]. Now we need to solve for [itex]n_iR/V[/itex] in terms of the final quantities, where [itex]n_f=n_i/3[/itex]: [tex]P_fV=n_fRT_f=\frac{n_iRT_f}{3}[/tex] so [itex]n_iR/V=3P_f/T_f[/itex] Now we equate the two representations of [itex]n_iR/V[/itex] and solve for [itex]P_f[/itex]: [tex]\frac{P_i}{T_i}=\frac{3P_f}{T_f}[/tex] so [itex]P_f=P_iT_f/3T_i[/itex]. At this point, feel free to plug in the numerical quantities and count your sig figs. Right now it looks like if you plugged everything in as is, you'd get a pressure in [itex]\text{atm}[/itex], so no need to change units unless you really want to.

That's exactly what I did, but I missed the fact that I had to convert the temperatures from Celcius to Kelvin, so my result didn't match with the book's. That said:

Pi = 11.0 atm
Tf = 75.0 + 273.15 = 348.15 K
Ti = 25.0 + 273.15 = 298.15 K

Pf = Pi*Tf/*Ti = 11.0atm * 348.15 K/3*298.15 K = 4.28 atm

Thanks a ton for the help!

Related to Finding the Remaining Pressure of a Gas After Removing 2/3rds

1. How does pressure affect the removal of gas?

Pressure plays a crucial role in the removal of gas. When a gas is under high pressure, it is more likely to dissolve in a liquid or become trapped in a solid. Lowering the pressure allows the gas to escape, making removal easier.

2. What methods can be used to decrease gas pressure?

There are several methods to decrease gas pressure, including purging, venting, absorption, and adsorption. Purging involves introducing a gas or liquid to displace the unwanted gas. Venting involves releasing the gas into the atmosphere. Absorption involves using a liquid to absorb the gas, while adsorption involves using a solid material to adsorb the gas.

3. Can temperature also affect gas pressure?

Yes, temperature can also impact gas pressure. According to the Ideal Gas Law, pressure and temperature are directly proportional to each other. This means that as temperature increases, so does pressure. Therefore, lowering the temperature can help decrease gas pressure.

4. How can I determine the ideal pressure for removing a gas?

The ideal pressure for removing a gas depends on various factors, such as the type of gas, the temperature, and the material it is trapped in. It is best to consult with a qualified scientist or engineer to determine the most suitable pressure for a specific gas removal process.

5. Are there any safety precautions to consider when removing gas under pressure?

Yes, there are several safety precautions to consider when removing gas under pressure. These include wearing appropriate personal protective equipment, following proper procedures and protocols, and ensuring proper ventilation in the area. It is also essential to be aware of the potential hazards associated with the specific gas being removed and take necessary precautions to prevent accidents.