Finding the Resultant of Two Forces: A Vector Addition Problem

In summary, to find the direction and magnitude of P, you can use the cosine rule to determine the angle between P and the horizontal component of the resultant force. Then, using Pythagoras' theorem and the equations for the horizontal and vertical components of the resultant force, you can solve for the magnitude of P. It is also important to understand how to add and find the magnitude of vectors in order to solve this problem accurately.
MrMechanic

Homework Statement

The resultant of the two forces has a magnitude of 650 lb. Determine the
direction of the resultant and the magnitude of P.
[See Attachment for Figure]

Homework Equations

Well, I only know is R^2=Fx^2+Fy^2
im still confused by this problem

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried using cosine law but it doesn't work well since the answer in the back is
(a) 71.8 degrees and (b) 235lb
Can someone help me?
Very Much appreciated.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    1.5 KB · Views: 1,191
Physics news on Phys.org
You have to show your working ... start by sketching the vectors out head-to-tail.
The cosine rule will work if you have the correct angle and the correct relationships between the sides.
i.e. you have to understand what you are doing instead of just putting numbers into equations.

Likes 1 person
I see. Okay I've tried this
Summation of Px = pcos30
summation of Py = -Psin30
summation of Ny (which is the 500lb force) = -500
R = 650lb
Rx = 650cos@?
Ry = 650sin@?
I'm not really sure on what equations should I use.
Thanks for the reply.

In this case, I would suggest that the magnitude of P is easier to work out first.

You've already resolved P into horizontal and vertical components. There is an additional 500lb force acting vertically downward.

What is the total horizontal force? What is the total vertical force? All in terms of P.

Now what is the magnitude of the resultant force in terms of P. Use Pythagoras' theorem.

Equate that to 650. Can you solve that equation for P?

Remember that sin 30 deg and cos 30 deg are "nice" results - apply this.

Likes 1 person
What do you mean by "Now what is the magnitude of the resultant force in terms of P. Use Pythagoras' theorem."
It got me confused.
I now know the horizontal and vertical force in terms of P but they are all equations.. I've build up 2 equations.

MrMechanic said:
What do you mean by "Now what is the magnitude of the resultant force in terms of P. Use Pythagoras' theorem."
It got me confused.
I now know the horizontal and vertical force in terms of P but they are all equations.. I've build up 2 equations.

How do you work out the resultant of two forces at right angles to each other?

Think about a right angled triangle.

Likes 1 person
You have two forces, 500 lb down and the force P at an angle of 60 degrees to the vertical. You want to find the vector sum of these two forces. In terms of P and the angle, what is the equation for the vertical component of the sum of the two forces (which is the same as the sum of their vertical components)? In terms of P and the angle, what is the equation for the horizontal component of the sum of the two forces? In terms of P, what is the resultant of these combined horizontal and vertical components?

You have determined already: F=-500j, and P=Pcos(30)i - Psin(30)j, and you know the resultant Q=|Q|=640 (all forces in lbs and "down" is negative).

You also know that Q=F+P
Do you know how to add vectors?
Do you know how to find the magnitude of a vector?

FAQ: Finding the Resultant of Two Forces: A Vector Addition Problem

What is the resultant of a force problem?

The resultant of a force problem is the single force that has the same effect on an object as all the individual forces acting on it combined. It is the net force that results from the vector sum of all the forces.

How do you calculate the resultant of a force problem?

The resultant of a force problem can be calculated by using vector addition. This involves breaking each force into its horizontal and vertical components, adding all the horizontal components together, then adding all the vertical components together. The resultant force is then found by using the Pythagorean theorem to find the magnitude of the resultant and trigonometric functions to find its direction.

What happens if the forces in a problem are not parallel?

If the forces in a problem are not parallel, they can still be added using vector addition. The forces can be resolved into components along two perpendicular axes (usually x and y) and then added together to find the resultant force. The direction of the resultant force can be found by using trigonometric functions.

Can the resultant force be zero?

Yes, the resultant force can be zero if the vector sum of all the forces acting on an object is equal to zero. This means that the forces are balanced and there is no net force acting on the object. In this case, the object will be at rest or moving with a constant velocity.

How does the direction of the resultant force relate to the direction of its components?

The direction of the resultant force is dependent on the direction of its components. If the components are in the same direction, the resultant force will also be in that direction. If the components are in opposite directions, the resultant force will be in the direction of the larger component. If the components are at right angles to each other, the resultant force will be at an angle between them.

Back