Finding the Shortest Distance from a Point to a Line in 3-Dimensional Space

• Thread starter ibysaiyan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vector
In summary: And I love it how i am being challenged .I will move on to another thread soon, but i just wanted to reply to the above.P is a random point on the line. (p-a) is the shortest length between the point and the line. The "^" is just a symbol for unit vector.Yeah i meant point H is perpendicular to the line in the sense that the shortest length is from point B to H. So BH is perpendicular to the line AC. I think i might have confused you with the letters. If you could give me a better understanding of the equation (1), that would be great. I Don't understand it because i don't know what "p" is. If you could give me
ibysaiyan

Homework Statement

The set of questions is:
The points A, B, C have position vectors
a = 5i+4j+2k
b = 4i−5j+3k
c = 2i−j−2k

(d) Find the vector equation for the line
passing through A and C
(e) Find the nearest distance from the
point B to this line.

Homework Equations

r=A+[itex]\lambda B[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

My working is as following:
First I need to find out vector AC [direction vector] which is : -3i -5j -4k, so when I substitute in -3i -5j -4k into vector B and any of the given points, this should give me the equation of the line. Which's : r = 5i+4j+2k [itex]\lambda B[/itex] (-3i -5j-4k)

Part e )

Now I think there are two ways of finding out the shortest distance between a given point and a line.
The question's :
point B to this line.

My working:
Let H be the point which's perpendicular to the line and is at a shorter distance.
Since H is on the line , then using the equation of the line I get OH = ( 5-3 [itex]\lambda [/itex] , -5[itex]\lambda [/itex] +4, -4[itex]\lambda [/itex] +2k)

Therefore, Vector BH = H + (-B) = ( 1-3[itex]\lambda [/itex] , -5[itex]\lambda [/itex] +9 ,-4[itex]\lambda [/itex] -1)
The condition which arises is that BH is perpendicular to direction vector of the equation i.e : -3i -5j-4k

In other words dot product = 0 ,
which gives me the value of lamba = 22/25

In the end the distance of the length OH which i have found out is :about 2.7 to s.f)

Is my working right ? also I wanted to ask that.. on my summary booklet, there's a much easier way to find this length : The formula is :
d = | (p-a) x B^ | (equation 1)

Ironically, I know how to derive the above equation (1)
BUT i don't understand it :(
Any help , feedback will be appreciated! :)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Can anyone give a feedback over my working . Thanks.

Anyone ? =]

ibysaiyan said:

Homework Statement

The set of questions is:
The points A, B, C have position vectors
a = 5i+4j+2k
b = 4i−5j+3k
c = 2i−j−2k

(d) Find the vector equation for the line
passing through A and C
point B to this line.

Homework Equations

r=A+[itex]\lambda B[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

My working is as following:
First I need to find out vector AC [direction vector] which is : -3i -5j -4k, so when I substitute in -3i -5j -4k into vector B
What? You were asked to find the line that includes A and C. That has nothing to do with point B!

and any of the given points, this should give me the equation of the line. Which's : r = 5i+4j+2k [itex]\lambda B[/itex] (-3i -5j-4k)
That "B" should not be in there. Other wise, yes, that is correct. Notice that you could check by seeing that A and C are both on that line: when [itex]\lambda= 0[/itex] [itex]r= 5i+ 4j+ 2k[/itex] which is A. When [itex]\lambda= 1[/itex], [itex]r= 5i+ 4j+ 2k- 3i- 5j- 4k= 2i- j- 2k which is C.

[/quote]Part e )

Now I think there are two ways of finding out the shortest distance between a given point and a line.
The question's :

My working:
Let H be the point which's perpendicular to the line and is at a shorter distance.[/quote]
I have no idea what you could mean by saying that a point is perpendicular to a line. I think you mean a point on the line such that the line HB is perpendicular to the line.

Since H is on the line , then using the equation of the line I get OH = ( 5-3 [itex]\lambda [/itex] , -5[itex]\lambda [/itex] +4, -4[itex]\lambda [/itex] +2k)
2i−j−2k

Therefore, Vector BH = H + (-B) = ( 1-3[itex]\lambda [/itex] , -5[itex]\lambda [/itex] +9 ,-4[itex]\lambda [/itex] -1)
I'm confused. B was 2i- j- 2k. Where did i+ ij- k come from?

The condition which arises is that BH is perpendicular to direction vector of the equation i.e : -3i -5j-4k

In other words dot product = 0 ,
which gives me the value of lamba = 22/25

In the end the distance of the length OH which i have found out is :about 2.7 to s.f)

Is my working right ? also I wanted to ask that.. on my summary booklet, there's a much easier way to find this length : The formula is :
d = | (p-a) x B^ | (equation 1)

Ironically, I know how to derive the above equation (1)
BUT i don't understand it :(

Any help , feedback will be appreciated! :)
How could you possibly derive an equation if you don't understand it?
I don't understand it because I have no idea what "p" is. Is "a" the same as "A" before? What in the world is that "^"? But precisely because I don't understand what those mean, I
couldn't possibly derive it!

What I would do is start by calculating the equation of the plane perpendicular to the line AC containing the point B. Here, you already have the direction vector, -3i- 5j- 4k, and point B is (4, -5, 3) so that plane is -3(x- 4)- 5(y+ 5)- 4(z- 3)= 0 or 3x+ 5y+ 4z= -1. Find the point where line AC intersects the plane and then find the distance from that point to B.

Again thanks for your help hallsofIvy. I plan on going through vector problems over the weekend. I want to make an aplogy over my late reply, workload has kept me busy BUT I am loving it, this is physics <3 Beautiful from every aspect.

Related to Finding the Shortest Distance from a Point to a Line in 3-Dimensional Space

1. What is a 3-dimensional vector?

A 3-dimensional vector is a mathematical quantity that has both magnitude and direction in three-dimensional space. It is represented by three components, typically denoted as (x, y, z).

2. How do you solve a 3-dimensional vector problem?

To solve a 3-dimensional vector problem, you can use the principles of vector addition, subtraction, and scalar multiplication. You can also use the dot product and cross product operations to find the magnitude and direction of the resulting vector.

3. What are some real-life applications of 3-dimensional vectors?

3-dimensional vectors have many practical applications, such as in physics for describing the motion of objects in space, in engineering for designing structures, and in computer graphics for creating 3D models and animations.

4. Can you have a negative vector in 3-dimensional space?

Yes, you can have a negative vector in 3-dimensional space. This means that the vector has a magnitude in the opposite direction from its positive counterpart. For example, a negative velocity vector would indicate motion in the opposite direction.

5. How do you convert a 3-dimensional vector into its unit vector form?

To convert a 3-dimensional vector into its unit vector form, you need to divide each component by the magnitude of the vector. The resulting vector will have a magnitude of 1 and will indicate the direction of the original vector.