Finding the Shortest Path for Walking in a Room

• Thread starter tjbateh
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Path
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the magnitude of displacement for a fly flying around a room and the length of the shortest path it can take if it walks. The solution for Part A involves setting up an XYZ coordinate system and using the Pythagorean theorem to find the hypotenuse of a triangle. For Part B, the hint suggests unfolding the room like a box and using the Pythagorean theorem again to find the shortest path.
tjbateh

Homework Statement

A room has dimensions 2.85 m (height) × 5.93 m × 6.29 m. A fly starting at one corner flies around, ending up at the diagonally opposite corner. (a) What is the magnitude of its displacement? (b) If the fly walks rather than flies, what is the length of the shortest path it can take? (Hint: This can be answered without calculus. The room is like a box. Unfold its walls to flatten them into a plane.)

Homework Equations

HINT:Put the origin of an xyz coordinate system at the starting corner; let the axes extend along the room edges.

To find the shortest path for walking, unfold the room like a box, laying out its sides and marking the start and finish points. If you unfold it the right way, you need only the Pythagorean theorem.

The Attempt at a Solution

For Part A, I got 6.58 m, but this answer came up wrong on the HW program.

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you show your work? Then we try to see where things went wrong.

I set up the XYZ plane. 2.85 was the Z axis..and 5.93 and the 6.29 were the X and Y axis. I basically made a triangle from one corner to the other. I did 2.85^2+5.93^2=magnitude of one displacement. That was 6.58. That is pretty much as far as I have gotten on this problem. I don't know if i set up another triangle or not. I just can't visualize the path the fly took. It's hard to put on paper.

I found this image, which may be helpful:

pythagoras3d.jpg

You have found the hypotenuse of the blue triangle in the figure (6.58 m). You can use that information to find the desired distance, which is the hypotenuse of the yellow triangle here.

Yes! I got 9.10, which was the correct answer. Now how do I come across part B?

Try the hint, about unfolding the room like a box.

Related to Finding the Shortest Path for Walking in a Room

What exactly is the "shortest path" for walking in a room?

The shortest path for walking in a room refers to the most efficient and direct route from one point to another within the room. This can be measured by the distance traveled or the number of steps taken.

What factors affect the shortest path for walking in a room?

The main factors that affect the shortest path for walking in a room include the size and shape of the room, the position of obstacles or furniture, and the starting and ending points of the path.

How is the shortest path for walking in a room determined?

The shortest path for walking in a room can be determined using various algorithms, such as Dijkstra's algorithm or A* search algorithm, which take into account the aforementioned factors to find the most efficient route.

Can the shortest path for walking in a room change depending on the starting and ending points?

Yes, the shortest path for walking in a room can change depending on the starting and ending points. For example, if there is an obstacle in the direct path from point A to point B, the shortest path may be different if the starting point is moved to point C.

How is finding the shortest path for walking in a room useful?

Finding the shortest path for walking in a room is useful in various applications, such as robot navigation, video game design, and logistics planning. It can also save time and energy for individuals trying to navigate a room efficiently.