Finding the Slope of a Tangent Line to f(x) at (2,3)

• Thread starter fitz_calc
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Slope
In summary, the slope of the tangent line to the graph of f(x) = x-1/x at (2,3) is 3/2. The value of f(x) is not relevant to the slope of the tangent line.
fitz_calc

Homework Statement

the line tangent to the graph of f(x) = x-1/x at (2,3) has what slope?

The Attempt at a Solution

Same story with this problem, I remember doing it but can't remember how to attack the problem. can someone give me a good first step to go off of?

Physics news on Phys.org
The slope of the tangent line to a curve, at any point, is the value of the derivative their. That's often taken as a definition of derivative. In order to differentiate, I would write that as f(x)= x- x-1.

1 + 1/4 = 5/4, gotcha.

so the 3/2 on the y-axis has no role in determining the final answer?

Of minor note, the graph doesn't actually pass through (2,3), but I'll assume it's a typo (though it would be a mean trick question)

The value of f(x) is pretty much irrelevant to the slope of the tangent line, yes. (in fact, note you can add any constant to f, making it f(x)+c, and it will still have the same derivative.)

Related to Finding the Slope of a Tangent Line to f(x) at (2,3)

1. What is a slope problem?

A slope problem is a mathematical question that involves finding the slope of a line. The slope is a measure of the steepness of the line and is calculated by dividing the change in y-coordinates by the change in x-coordinates.

2. How do I solve a slope problem?

To solve a slope problem, you first need to identify two points on the line. Then, you can use the slope formula, which is (y2-y1)/(x2-x1), to calculate the slope. Alternatively, you can also use the rise over run method by counting the number of units the line moves up or down and left or right between the two points.

3. What is the significance of slope in real-life situations?

Slope has many real-life applications, such as determining the steepness of a hill or road, finding the rate of change in a business's profits, and analyzing data trends in science and economics. It is an essential concept in many fields, including engineering, physics, and geography.

4. Can slope be negative?

Yes, slope can be negative. A negative slope indicates a line that is decreasing from left to right, while a positive slope indicates a line that is increasing from left to right. A slope of 0 represents a horizontal line, and a slope of undefined represents a vertical line.

5. Are there any shortcuts or tricks for solving slope problems?

Yes, there are a few tricks that can make solving slope problems easier. One is to remember that a horizontal line has a slope of 0, while a vertical line has an undefined slope. Another trick is to use the slope-intercept form, y = mx + b, where m represents the slope and b represents the y-intercept, to quickly graph a line and find its slope.