Finding the Solution to a Differential Equation Passing Through (1,2)

• MHB
  • Thread starter Cadbury
  • Start date
In summary: Hello! How do you find the solution of this equation that passes through (1,2)?2 xy dy/dx = y^2 - 2 (x^3)I have a problem with using the latex feature sorry if it is hard to read :(Thank you! :)In summary, the equation has the following form: y^2 - 2(x^3)
Cadbury
Hello!

How do you find the solution of this equation that passes through (1,2)?

2 xy dy/dx = y^2 - 2 (x^3)

I have a problem with using the latex feature sorry if it is hard to read :(
Thank you! :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Cadbury said:
Hello!

(Wave)

$$2xydy=(y^2-2x^3)dx \Rightarrow (y^2-2x^3)dx -2xydy=0$$

$$M=y^2-2x^3$$

$$\frac{\partial{M}}{\partial{y}}=2y$$

$$N=y^2-2x^3$$

$$\frac{\partial{N}}{\partial{x}}=-6x^2$$Can you compute now $\frac{\frac{\partial{M}}{\partial{y}}-\frac{\partial{N}}{\partial{x}}}{N}$ ?

evinda said:
(Wave)

$$2xydy=(y^2-2x^3)dx \Rightarrow (y^2-2x^3)dx -2xydy=0$$

$$M=y^2-2x^3$$

$$N=y^2-2x^3$$

$$\frac{\partial{N}}{\partial{x}}=-6x^2$$Can you compute now $\frac{\frac{\partial{M}}{\partial{y}}-\frac{\partial{N}}{\partial{x}}}{N}$ ?

Hi! Thank you for your fast response hehe.
So,
= [ 2y+6(x^2) ] / [ (y^2) - 2 (x^3)] is this the answer?
because i thought i should be using x=u+h, y=v+k, the equation will then be homogenous and then seperable

Cadbury said:
Hi! Thank you for your fast response hehe.
So,
= [ 2y+6(x^2) ] / [ (y^2) - 2 (x^3)] is this the answer?
because i thought i should be using x=u+h, y=v+k, the equation will then be homogenous and then seperable

I accidentally took the same $M$ and $N$, I am sorry... (Blush)

So, it is like that:$$M=y^2-2x^3$$

$$N=-2xy$$

$$\frac{\partial{N}}{\partial{x}}=-2y$$

$$\frac{\frac{\partial{M}}{\partial{y}}-\frac{\partial{N}}{\partial{x}}}{N}=-\frac{2}{x}$$

$$\mu(x,y)=e^{\int -\frac{2}{x}dx}=e^{-2 \ln |x|}=\frac{1}{x^2} $$Now we multilpy our equation by $\mu$ and we get:

$$(2x-\frac{y^2}{x^2})dx+\frac{2y}{x} dy =0 $$$$M'=2x-\frac{y^2}{x^2}\\N'=\frac{2y}{x}$$

$$\frac{\partial{M'}}{\partial{y}}=-\frac{2y}{x^2}$$

$$\frac{\partial{N'}}{\partial{x}}=\frac{-2y}{x^2}$$

So now $\frac{\partial{M'}}{\partial{y}}=\frac{\partial{N'}}{\partial{x}}$.Now you solve the equations $\frac{\partial F}{\partial y}=M', \frac{\partial F}{\partial x}=N' $.

Cadbury said:
Hello!

Hi Cadbury,

Just like in one your earlier problems, noticing that $(y^2)' = 2yy'$ you may substitute $u = y^2$ and reduce your equation to the linear ODE $xu' - u = -2x^3$. Using the initial condition $y(1) = 2$, we find $u(1) = 4$. So now you have the IVP

\(\displaystyle xu' - u = -2x^3,\quad u(1) = 4,\)

which you can solve with the integrating factor approach.

FAQ: Finding the Solution to a Differential Equation Passing Through (1,2)

What is a solution to an equation?

A solution to an equation is a value or set of values that make the equation true. It is the answer to the equation.

How do you solve an equation?

To solve an equation, you must isolate the variable on one side of the equation by using algebraic operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. The goal is to get the variable by itself on one side of the equation, with all constants on the other side.

Can an equation have more than one solution?

Yes, an equation can have more than one solution. This is known as a "multi-solution" equation. In some cases, there may be an infinite number of solutions.

What is the difference between an equation and an identity?

An equation is a mathematical statement with an equal sign that shows that two expressions are equal. An identity is also a mathematical statement with an equal sign, but it is always true for all values of the variable, whereas an equation may only be true for specific values of the variable.

What should I do if I can't solve an equation?

If you are having trouble solving an equation, try starting with simpler equations and gradually building up to more complex ones. You can also seek help from a math tutor or use online resources to learn different strategies for solving equations.