Finding the splitting field of x^4-7x in C over Q

In summary, to find a splitting field of x^4-7x in C over Q, you can start by factoring x^4-7x into x(x^3-7) and then using the identity x^3 - r^3 \equiv (x - r)(x^2 + rx + r^2) to factorize a quadratic. One potential solution for r is (7)^1/3, but there may be other roots to consider as well.
PsychonautQQ

Homework Statement

Hello PF. I need to find a splitting field of x^4-7x in C over Q

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

letting r be a root, I did the division and got x^4-7x = (x-r)(x^3+r*x^2+x*r^2+r^3). I'm a little confused on what to do now, do I just take another root and do the division again?

Physics news on Phys.org
You can find all the roots (in C) and see how many of them are in Q.

Likes PsychonautQQ
mfb said:
You can find all the roots (in C) and see how many of them are in Q.
Is the best way to find all the roots in C to do what I've been doing? Assume an element is a root and then divide?

PsychonautQQ said:

Homework Statement

Hello PF. I need to find a splitting field of x^4-7x in C over Q

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

letting r be a root, I did the division and got x^4-7x = (x-r)(x^3+r*x^2+x*r^2+r^3). I'm a little confused on what to do now, do I just take another root and do the division again?

The right hand side is [itex]x^4 - r^4[/itex] which for fixed [itex]r[/itex] is not identically equal to the left hand side for every [itex]x[/itex].

Starting with [itex]x^4 - 7x = (x - r)(x^3 + ax^2 + bx + c)[/itex] and comparing coefficients of powers of [itex]x[/itex] leads to [tex]
a - r = 0, \\
b - ar = 0, \\
c - br = -7, \\
cr = 0.[/tex] This is a system in four unknowns [itex]a[/itex], [itex]b[/itex], [itex]c[/itex] and [itex]r[/itex] which has the solution [itex]a = r[/itex], [itex]b = r^2[/itex], [itex]c = r^3 - 7[/itex] and [itex]r(r^3 - 7) = 0[/itex]. This of course gets you no closer to actually finding [itex]r[/itex].

Instead observe that [itex]x^4 - 7x = x(x^3 - 7)[/itex] and then use the identity [itex]x^3 - r^3 \equiv (x - r)(x^2 + rx + r^2)[/itex]. That leaves you to factorize a quadratic.

Likes PsychonautQQ
pasmith said:
The right hand side is [itex]x^4 - r^4[/itex] which for fixed [itex]r[/itex] is not identically equal to the left hand side for every [itex]x[/itex].

Starting with [itex]x^4 - 7x = (x - r)(x^3 + ax^2 + bx + c)[/itex] and comparing coefficients of powers of [itex]x[/itex] leads to [tex]
a - r = 0, \\
b - ar = 0, \\
c - br = -7, \\
cr = 0.[/tex] This is a system in four unknowns [itex]a[/itex], [itex]b[/itex], [itex]c[/itex] and [itex]r[/itex] which has the solution [itex]a = r[/itex], [itex]b = r^2[/itex], [itex]c = r^3 - 7[/itex] and [itex]r(r^3 - 7) = 0[/itex]. This of course gets you no closer to actually finding [itex]r[/itex].

Instead observe that [itex]x^4 - 7x = x(x^3 - 7)[/itex] and then use the identity [itex]x^3 - r^3 \equiv (x - r)(x^2 + rx + r^2)[/itex]. That leaves you to factorize a quadratic.

Where r = (7)^1/3? Thank you by the way. I feel like this was a really obvious question in retrospect

Related to Finding the splitting field of x^4-7x in C over Q

What is a splitting field?

A splitting field is a field extension that contains all the roots of a given polynomial. In other words, it is the smallest field in which a polynomial can be completely factored into linear factors.

How do you find the splitting field of a polynomial?

To find the splitting field of a polynomial, you need to factor the polynomial into irreducible factors and then find the smallest field extension that contains all the roots of those factors. In the case of x^4-7x, the irreducible factors are x and x-7, so the splitting field would be the smallest field extension of Q that contains the roots of x and x-7.

Why is it important to find the splitting field?

Finding the splitting field is important because it allows us to fully understand the behavior of a polynomial. It also helps us solve equations involving the polynomial and determine its Galois group, which provides valuable information about the solvability of the polynomial.

What is the splitting field of x^4-7x in C over Q?

The splitting field of x^4-7x in C over Q is the field extension of Q that contains all the roots of x^4-7x. In this case, the splitting field would be the field extension of Q that contains the roots of x and x-7, which is C.

Is the splitting field of x^4-7x unique?

Yes, the splitting field of x^4-7x is unique. This is because the splitting field is the smallest field extension that contains all the roots of the polynomial, and the roots of x^4-7x are x and x-7. Since the field extension of Q that contains these roots is unique (C in this case), the splitting field is also unique.