Finding the square root of a matrix

In summary, to find an invertible matrix X so that XAX-1 is diagonal, the determinant of A must be subtracted by xI to find the eigenvalues. Then, the eigenvectors for each eigenvalue can be used to form the matrix X. To find the square root of A, X can be multiplied by D1/2 and then by X-1. Multiplying the resulting matrix by itself will give the original matrix A.
smerhej

Homework Statement

Let A be the matrix:
-5 -3
18 10

Find an invertible matrix X so that XAX-1 is diagonal. Use this to find a square root of the matrix A.

Homework Equations

DetA - xI
(A-[itex]\lambda[/itex]I)v = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

So, I found DetA- xI, which gave me the eigenvalues 4 and 1. I found the eigenvectors for each value, giving me X =
-1 -1
3 2

Now what confuses me is finding the square root of A. I understand that XD1/2X-1 will give me that, so would I just multiply X by D1/2 , and then by X-1? I tried that, and it gave me A=

-1 -1
6 4

Physics news on Phys.org
If you multiply your final matrix by itself, what do you get?

The original matrix A! Thank you! I don't know how I didn't think of that to check my work..

:smile:

Related to Finding the square root of a matrix

1. How do you find the square root of a matrix?

The square root of a matrix can be found by using matrix diagonalization or the Jordan decomposition method. These methods involve finding the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of the matrix, which can then be used to construct the square root of the matrix.

2. What is the purpose of finding the square root of a matrix?

Finding the square root of a matrix is useful in solving systems of linear equations and in performing matrix operations such as inversion and exponentiation. It also has applications in areas such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics.

3. Can every matrix have a square root?

No, not every matrix has a square root. For a matrix to have a square root, it must be square and have non-negative eigenvalues. If a matrix does not meet these criteria, it does not have a square root.

4. Is the square root of a matrix unique?

No, the square root of a matrix is not always unique. A matrix can have multiple square roots if it has repeated eigenvalues or if it is a complex matrix. However, all square roots of a matrix will have the same eigenvalues and eigenvectors.

5. Are there any shortcuts or tricks for finding the square root of a matrix?

Unfortunately, there are no shortcuts or tricks for finding the square root of a matrix. It requires knowledge of matrix operations and eigenvalues, and can be a complex process. However, there are computer algorithms and software programs that can assist in finding the square root of a matrix.