Finding the sum of an indefinite series

In summary: No, it's not an infinite series. The cancellations happen at the term boundaries, so you can always tell when you have to keep going.
hahaha158

Homework Statement

Ʃ(x-->infinity, x>0) 11/(n(n+2))

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am not quite sure what to do, i think that i am supposed to put it into partial fractions.

i changed it to the form 11/(n^2+2n)
--> 11/((n+1)(n+1)-1))
--> 11/((n+1)^2-1)

Now i am kind of stuck, i know the answer is 33/4 but i am not sure how i can get to it.

Can anyone please help me out?

Also, can this be considered a geometric series?

Physics news on Phys.org
hahaha158 said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

I am not quite sure what to do, i think that i am supposed to put it into partial fractions.i changed it to the form 11/(n^2+2n)
--> 11/((n+1)(n+1)-1))
--> 11/((n+1)^2-1)

Now i am kind of stuck, i know the answer is 33/4 but i am not sure how i can get to it.

No, it's not geometric. You would be right to put it into partial fractions, why don't you do that? Partial fractions means expressing it as A/n+B/(n+2). What are A and B?

hahaha158 said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

I am not quite sure what to do, i think that i am supposed to put it into partial fractions.

i changed it to the form 11/(n^2+2n)
--> 11/((n+1)(n+1)-1))
--> 11/((n+1)^2-1)

No, it isn't a geometric series. Forget the 11 for a moment. Write$$
\frac 1 {n(n+2)}= \frac A n + \frac B {n+2}$$Figure out ##A## and ##B##, then write out a bunch of terms of$$
\sum_{n=1}^\infty \left( \frac A n + \frac B {n+2}\right)$$and you will see what it converges to. Then multiply by your ##11##.

Dick said:
No, it's not geometric. You would be right to put it into partial fractions, why don't you do that? Partial fractions means expressing it as A/n+B/(n+2). What are A and B?

I am unsure of how to take partial fractions using 11/((n+1)^2-1)

i know that if you have multiplication at the bottom (ie 2 brackets) i could separate them and multiply each top term by the denominator of the other fraction, and then equate the 2 top terms to equal 11. I am not sure how i would treat this when i have subtraction in the denominator, should i not have changed it into this form?

hahaha158 said:
I am unsure of how to take partial fractions using 11/((n+1)^2-1)

i know that if you have multiplication at the bottom (ie 2 brackets) i could separate them and multiply each top term by the denominator of the other fraction, and then equate the 2 top terms to equal 11. I am not sure how i would treat this when i have subtraction in the denominator, should i not have changed it into this form?

You haven't changed it in any useful way. Just deal with 1/(n(n+2)) and do partial fractions on that. You can save the 11 till later.

LCKurtz said:
No, it isn't a geometric series. Forget the 11 for a moment. Write$$
\frac 1 {n(n+2)}= \frac A n + \frac B {n+2}$$Figure out ##A## and ##B##, then write out a bunch of terms of$$
\sum_{n=1}^\infty \left( \frac A n + \frac B {n+2}\right)$$and you will see what it converges to. Then multiply by your ##11##.

ok, unless I've made calculation errors I've found A to be 1/2 and B to be -1/2. The first 3 terms of the series without the 11 in the numerator I've found are 1/3, 1/8, and 1/15, and 1/24. It seems like they are converging towards 0, but i don't think they ever reach 0, so how do i know what term to stop at?

hahaha158 said:
ok, unless I've made calculation errors I've found A to be 1/2 and B to be -1/2. The first 3 terms of the series without the 11 in the numerator I've found are 1/3, 1/8, and 1/15, and 1/24. It seems like they are converging towards 0, but i don't think they ever reach 0, so how do i know what term to stop at?

Don't combine the parts coming from partial fractions. That gets you right back where you started. (1/2-1/6)+(1/4-1/8)+(1/6-1/10)+(1/8-1/12)+(1/10-1/14)+(1/12-1/16)+... Look for a pattern of cancellations. It's a telescoping series.

Dick said:
Don't combine the parts coming from partial fractions. That gets you right back where you started. (1/2-1/6)+(1/4-1/8)+(1/6-1/10)+(1/8-1/12)+(1/10-1/14)+(1/12-1/16)+... Look for a pattern of cancellations. It's a telescoping series.

i can see the cancellations now, but isn't this still an infinite series? even if every few terms cancel out how can you tell when you have to keep going until?

hahaha158 said:
i can see the cancellations now, but isn't this still an infinite series? even if every few terms cancel out how can you tell when you have to keep going until?

They ALL cancel except for a few at the beginning, the series is infinite. Just find the ones that don't cancel with later terms. Like 1/2 will never cancel. Keep thinking about it.

Dick said:
They ALL cancel except for a few at the beginning, the series is infinite. Just find the ones that don't cancel with later terms. Like 1/2 will never cancel. Keep thinking about it.

ohh i see now.

Thanks for all the help

hahaha158 said:

By definition, an infinite series is the limit of a finite series, so
[tex] \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{1}{n(n+2)}=
\lim_{N \to \infty} \sum_{n=1}^{N} \frac{1}{n(n+2)},[/tex]
and for a 'telescoping' series the finite sum is easy to get.

FAQ: Finding the sum of an indefinite series

What is the definition of an indefinite series?

An indefinite series is a sequence of numbers that continues indefinitely without a specific endpoint.

How do you find the sum of an indefinite series?

To find the sum of an indefinite series, you need to first identify the pattern or rule that governs the sequence of numbers. Then, you can use this rule to generate a formula for finding the sum. Finally, you can plug in the values from the series into the formula to calculate the sum.

Can an indefinite series have a specific sum?

Yes, an indefinite series can have a specific sum as long as the series follows a specific pattern or rule. For example, the sum of an arithmetic series can be calculated using the formula Sn = (n/2)(a1 + an), where n is the number of terms and a1 and an are the first and last terms, respectively.

What is the difference between a finite and indefinite series?

A finite series has a specific number of terms and a definite endpoint, while an indefinite series continues infinitely without a specific endpoint. This means that a finite series has a specific sum, while an indefinite series may or may not have a specific sum.

What are some common types of indefinite series?

Some common types of indefinite series include arithmetic series, geometric series, and harmonic series. Each of these types follows a specific pattern or rule that can be used to find the sum of the series.