Finding the sum of inverse trigonometric expression

In summary, Tan(x, y) = (x+y)/1-xy. One way to compute Tan(x, y) is to take the successive sums, and then use the difference identity to get x=\frac{1+4n^2+4n}{2}.
Raghav Gupta

Homework Statement

Find ## \sum_1^{23} tan^{-1}(\frac{1}{n^2+n+1}) ##

Homework Equations

## tan^{-1}x + tan^{-1}y = tan^{-1}(\frac{x+y}{1-xy} )##

The Attempt at a Solution

I think we have to split the question in a form of relevant equation given above.
First thing what should I do?

Likes Ray Vickson
Physics news on Phys.org
In order to use the identity you have been given, you want to get the term [itex]\frac{x+y}{1-xy}[/itex] into the form of [itex]\frac{1}{n^2+n+1}[/itex]. This requires that you find x and y in terms of n. Do you see a way to do this?

Yes but it is by trial and error method.
1/(n2+n+1) can be written as (n+1-n)/(1+n(n+1))
Now it is seperatable.

Raghav Gupta said:

Homework Statement

Find ## \sum_1^{23} tan^{-1}(\frac{1}{n^2+n+1}) ##

Homework Equations

## tan^{-1}x + tan^{-1}y = tan^{-1}(\frac{x+y}{1-xy} )##

The Attempt at a Solution

I think we have to split the question in a form of relevant equation given above.
First thing what should I do?
One possibility is to apply the equation in (2) recursively: If ##t_k = 1/(k^2+k+1)##, let ##T_n = \sum_{k=1}^n \arctan(t_k) \equiv \arctan(S_n)##. Then ##S_1 = t_1## and $$S_k = \frac{S_{k-1}+t_k}{1-S_{k-1} t_k}$$
for ##k = 2, \ldots, 23##.

Raghav Gupta said:
Yes but it is by trial and error method.
1/(n2+n+1) can be written as (n+1-n)/(1+n(n+1))
Now it is seperatable.

An easier way is to see that in order for the forms to be the same, we must have x+y=1. Then solve for y in terms of x and substitute into 1-xy = n^2+n+1. Then solve for x, then y.

Likes Raghav Gupta
phyzguy said:
An easier way is to see that in order for the forms to be the same, we must have x+y=1. Then solve for y in terms of x and substitute into 1-xy = n^2+n+1. Then solve for x, then y.
@Raghav Gupta ,
Use this method suggested by phyzguy together with the difference identity:
##\displaystyle\ \tan^{-1}x - \tan^{-1}y = \tan^{-1}(\frac{x-y}{1+xy} )\ ## .​

Likes Raghav Gupta
It's getting quadratic.
I am getting ## x = \frac{1 ± \sqrt{1+4n^2 + 4n}}{2} ##
following both of you @phyzguy and @SammyS

Raghav Gupta said:
It's getting quadratic.
I am getting ## x = \frac{1 ± \sqrt{1+4n^2 + 4n}}{2} ##
following both of you @phyzguy and @SammyS

OK, keep going. 1+4n^2+4n is a perfect square, so you can take the square root and simplify it further. There are two solutions for x and y, but you will see they are really the same solution, with x and y interchanged.

Likes Raghav Gupta
Thanks, got it.
Sorry @Ray Vickson for not following your method, as I am not so acquainted with it.

Raghav Gupta said:
Thanks, got it.
Sorry @Ray Vickson for not following your method, as I am not so acquainted with it.

No problem: whatever works for you is fine by me.

However, just to clarify (in case you did not understand): one way of computing ##T_{23} = \sum_{k=1}^{23} \arctan(t_k)## is to compute the successive sums. Let ##T_2 = \arctan(t_1) + \arctan(t_2) = \arctan(S_2)## (using the equation in (2) to find ##S_2##), then ##T_3 = \sum_1^3 \arctan(t_k) = T_2 + \arctan(t_3) = \arctan(S_2) + \arctan(t_3) = \arctan(S_3)##, where we find ##S_3## in terms of ##S_2## and ##t_3## from equation (2). If you keep going like that you can find ##T_4, T_5, T_6, \ldots, T_{23}##.

Ray Vickson said:
No problem: whatever works for you is fine by me.

However, just to clarify (in case you did not understand): one way of computing ##T_{23} = \sum_{k=1}^{23} \arctan(t_k)## is to compute the successive sums. Let ##T_2 = \arctan(t_1) + \arctan(t_2) = \arctan(S_2)## (using the equation in (2) to find ##S_2##), then ##T_3 = \sum_1^3 \arctan(t_k) = T_2 + \arctan(t_3) = \arctan(S_2) + \arctan(t_3) = \arctan(S_3)##, where we find ##S_3## in terms of ##S_2## and ##t_3## from equation (2). Continue like that until you are done.
The mood is not coming for solving by this method.
Will see it later if required. Although thanks.

FAQ: Finding the sum of inverse trigonometric expression

1. What is an inverse trigonometric expression?

An inverse trigonometric expression is an expression that involves the inverse trigonometric functions, such as sin-1, cos-1, and tan-1. These functions are used to find the angle in a right triangle when given the ratio of the sides.

2. How do you find the sum of inverse trigonometric expressions?

To find the sum of inverse trigonometric expressions, you can use the following formula: sin-1(x) + cos-1(y) = tan-1(x/y). This formula can be applied to any combination of inverse trigonometric functions to find the sum.

3. Can you simplify inverse trigonometric expressions?

Yes, it is possible to simplify inverse trigonometric expressions by using trigonometric identities and properties. For example, you can use the double angle formula or the Pythagorean identity to simplify the expression.

4. Are there any restrictions when finding the sum of inverse trigonometric expressions?

Yes, there are restrictions when finding the sum of inverse trigonometric expressions. The values of x and y must be within the domain of the inverse trigonometric functions. Additionally, the sum of the expressions must not exceed the range of the inverse trigonometric functions.

5. How is finding the sum of inverse trigonometric expressions useful in real-life applications?

Finding the sum of inverse trigonometric expressions is useful in real-life applications, such as navigation and engineering. It can help determine the angles and distances in various geometric problems, which are essential in fields like construction, surveying, and physics.