Finding the sum vector given only the moduli and angle

In summary, the problem involves finding the modulus of the sum vector and the angle between it and one of the given vectors. Using the cosine rule, the modulus of the sum vector can be found by calculating the dot product of the two given vectors. The angle between the sum vector and one of the given vectors can also be found using the cosine rule.
K.QMUL

Homework Statement

Given two 2-dimensional vectors [itex]\overline{a}[/itex] and [itex]\overline{b}[/itex] of moduli l[itex]\overline{a}[/itex]l = 3u and l[itex]\overline{b}[/itex]l = 4u, and forming an
angle  of 120 degrees between them, determine the modulus of the sum vector [itex]\overline{s}[/itex] = [itex]\overline{a}[/itex] + [itex]\overline{b}[/itex]
and the angle between [itex]\overline{s}[/itex] and [itex]\overline{a}[/itex].

Homework Equations

a.b = l[itex]\overline{a}[/itex]ll[itex]\overline{b}[/itex]lcosθ

The Attempt at a Solution

All if have calculated is the dot product of vectors a and b, coming to (6u2). I cannot seem to figure out what I can do to find the sum of these vectors only given the moduli and angle between them. Please Help :-)

Physics news on Phys.org
I think I have solved my own question. I think I have to use the cosine rule and not the vector product rule as stated above

K.QMUL said:
I think I have solved my own question. I think I have to use the cosine rule and not the vector product rule as stated above

What do you get for your answers?

Related to Finding the sum vector given only the moduli and angle

1. What is a sum vector?

A sum vector is a mathematical concept that combines two or more individual vectors into one vector. It represents the result of adding or combining the magnitudes and directions of the individual vectors.

2. How do you find the sum vector given only the moduli and angle?

To find the sum vector, you can use the law of cosines. First, find the horizontal and vertical components of each vector using the given modulus and angle. Then, add the horizontal and vertical components separately to get the final horizontal and vertical components of the sum vector. Finally, use the Pythagorean theorem to find the magnitude and use inverse trigonometric functions to find the angle of the sum vector.

3. Can the sum vector be negative?

Yes, the sum vector can be negative if the individual vectors have opposite directions and similar magnitudes. In this case, the negative sign indicates the direction of the resultant vector.

4. What happens if one of the given vectors has a magnitude of 0?

If one of the given vectors has a magnitude of 0, it will not contribute to the sum vector. The final sum vector will only consist of the non-zero vectors.

5. Are there any other methods to find the sum vector?

Yes, there are other methods such as graphical addition, component method, and parallelogram method. However, using the law of cosines is the most efficient method to find the sum vector given only the moduli and angle.