Finding the Tangent Vector of a Space Curve at a Given Point

In summary, the conversation is about a problem involving the evaluation of T at a given point. The person attempted to solve it by substituting values into r'(s), but their calculations did not match the given answer. It is then clarified that the point (0, 1, pi/2) refers to t = pi/2 in r(t) = (cos t, sin t, t). Thus, substituting t = pi/2 into r'(s) yields the correct answer of -1/\sqrt{2} in the first row.
roam

Homework Statement

Here's a worked problem, I can't understand how they have evaluated T at the given point (in part c):

[PLAIN]http://img31.imageshack.us/img31/3725/97856984.gif

The Attempt at a Solution

I just substituted [tex](0,1, \pi/2)[/tex] into r'(s) but

[tex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} cos \left(\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\right) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} \neq 0[/tex]

[tex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}. -sin \left(\frac{0}{\sqrt{2}}\right) = 0 \neq \frac{-1}{\sqrt{2}}[/tex]

Why is it that I'm not getting the right answer? Is there something else I need to do here?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
to susbtitute into r'(s) you need to find s at that point

lanedance said:
to susbtitute into r'(s) you need to find s at that point

Okay, but still it doesn't work:

Since [tex]s= \sqrt{2}[/tex] , so at point 0 for example s=0. Then

[tex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} . -sin \left( \frac{0}{\sqrt{2}} \right)=0[/tex]

You see, it should equal zero. But how did they get "[tex]-\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}[/tex]"?? :rolleyes:

roam said:

Homework Statement

Here's a worked problem, I can't understand how they have evaluated T at the given point (in part c):

[PLAIN]http://img31.imageshack.us/img31/3725/97856984.gif

The Attempt at a Solution

I just substituted [tex](0,1, \pi/2)[/tex] into r'(s) but

[tex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} cos \left(\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\right) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} \neq 0[/tex]

[tex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}. -sin \left(\frac{0}{\sqrt{2}}\right) = 0 \neq \frac{-1}{\sqrt{2}}[/tex]

Why is it that I'm not getting the right answer? Is there something else I need to do here?
"at [itex](0, 1, \pi/2)[/itex]" does NOT mean s= 0! It is referring to
[tex]r(t)= \begin{pmatrix}cos(t)\\ sin(t) \\ t\end{pmatrix}[/tex]
so t= [/itex]\pi/2[/itex].

Last edited by a moderator:
HallsofIvy said:
"at [itex](0, 1, \pi/2)[/itex]" does NOT mean s= 0! It is referring to
[tex]r(t)= \begin{pmatrix}cos(t)\\ sin(t) \\ t\end{pmatrix}[/tex]
so t= [/itex]\pi/2[/itex].

How did you get [tex]t=\frac{\pi}{2}[/tex] out of that? Because by substituting these values into r(t) I got

[tex]r(t)= \begin{pmatrix}cos(0)\\ sin(1) \\ \pi/2\end{pmatrix} = \begin{pmatrix}1\\ 0.84 \\ \pi/2\end{pmatrix}[/tex]

And even if I set [tex]t=\frac{\pi}{2}[/tex] (therefore [tex]s= \frac{\pi}{\sqrt{2}}[/tex]) in r'(s), I still don't end up with [tex]-1/\sqrt{2}[/tex] in the first row like they have! :(

You should get that,
[tex]-\sin\left(\frac{\pi/\sqrt{2}}{\sqrt{2}}\right) = -\sin(\pi/2) = -1[/tex].

t = pi/2 comes from r(t) = (0, 1, pi/2) = (cos t, sin t, t) and looking at the last entry.

Related to Finding the Tangent Vector of a Space Curve at a Given Point

What is a space curve tangent vector?

A space curve tangent vector is a mathematical concept that represents the direction and rate of change of a point on a curved line in three-dimensional space.

How is a space curve tangent vector calculated?

A space curve tangent vector can be calculated by taking the derivative of the position vector with respect to the arc length parameter, which is a measure of distance along the curve.

What is the significance of the space curve tangent vector in physics?

In physics, the space curve tangent vector is used to calculate the velocity and acceleration of a particle moving along a curved path, as well as the direction of its motion.

Can a space curve tangent vector change over time?

Yes, a space curve tangent vector can change over time if the direction and/or rate of change of the point on the curve changes. This can occur if the curve itself changes shape or if the point moves along the curve at a varying speed.

How is the space curve tangent vector related to the normal vector and binormal vector?

The space curve tangent vector, normal vector, and binormal vector are all related through the Frenet-Serret formulas. These formulas describe how the three vectors are related to each other and how they change as the curve moves through space.