Finding the Tension in terms of weight and the angle of incline

In summary: I can't picture the setup.Sorry guys, this is the setup. I have looked at it a few more times and still get the same thing. Am I doing something wrong?The setup is as follows: two blocks are held in place by a frictionless incline with a weight ω. In terms of ω and the angle θ of the incline, calculate the tension in the rope connecting the two blocks.
Yosty22

Homework Statement

Two blocks, each with weight ω, are held in place by a frictionless incline.
In terms of ω and the angle θ of the incline, calculate the tension of the rope connecting the two blocks.

Homework Equations

ƩF=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

Since it is on a tilted incline, with angle θ, I made the x and y-axis tilted for the free body diagram. This means that ω, the weight, can be broken down into components ωx, which is parallel to the tension, and ωy, perpendicular to tension. In this case, I assumed that all forces acting in the x-direction (parallel to the tension) were ωx and T. I then used the equation ƩF=max and plugged in values and solved for T. First, I put "ωsinθ" in place of ωx, making the equation ωsinθ+T=ma. Solving for T, I get T=ma-ωsinθ. Is this correct? It looks a little odd to me.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think something is missing in the statement of the problem. How can a frictionless incline hold anything in place?

tms said:
I think something is missing in the statement of the problem. How can a frictionless incline hold anything in place?
No, they are held in place by tension.

Yosty22 said:

Homework Statement

Since it is on a tilted incline, with angle θ, I made the x and y-axis tilted for the free body diagram. This means that ω, the weight, can be broken down into components ωx, which is parallel to the tension, and ωy, perpendicular to tension. In this case, I assumed that all forces acting in the x-direction (parallel to the tension) were ωx and T. I then used the equation ƩF=max and plugged in values and solved for T. First, I put "ωsinθ" in place of ωx, making the equation ωsinθ+T=ma. Solving for T, I get T=ma-ωsinθ. Is this correct? It looks a little odd to me.
Since the blocks are held in place there is no acceleration so ma=0⇔ƩFx=0. And remember, there are two blocks.

Last edited:
lep11 said:
No, they are held in place by tension.
I can't picture the setup.

Sorry guys, this is the setup. I have looked at it a few more times and still get the same thing. Am I doing something wrong?

Attachments

• YF-05-48.jpg
    YF-05-48.jpg
    5.8 KB · Views: 602
Since the blocks are not moving, what is the acceleration?

Your answer above is wrong.

It may help to tell you that the tension in that rope would only depend on the mass of B (and not A). Remember the tension in string is equal to the force with which gravity is pulling the mass down the slope.

Last edited:

FAQ: Finding the Tension in terms of weight and the angle of incline

1. What is tension in terms of weight and the angle of incline?

Tension is the force created when an object is pulled in opposite directions. In the context of weight and angle of incline, tension is the force that is pulling an object uphill or downhill.

2. How do you calculate tension in terms of weight and the angle of incline?

The formula for calculating tension in terms of weight and angle of incline is T = W sinθ, where T is the tension, W is the weight of the object, and θ is the angle of incline.

3. What is the relationship between tension and weight in terms of the angle of incline?

The relationship between tension and weight in terms of the angle of incline is that as the angle of incline increases, the tension also increases. This means that the steeper the incline, the greater the tension on the object.

4. Can tension ever be greater than weight in terms of the angle of incline?

Yes, tension can be greater than weight in terms of the angle of incline. This occurs when the angle of incline is greater than 90 degrees, resulting in a negative tension value. In this case, the tension is actually pulling the object downhill, rather than uphill.

5. How does friction affect the tension in terms of weight and the angle of incline?

Friction can affect the tension in terms of weight and angle of incline by reducing the tension force. Friction is a force that opposes motion, so it acts in the opposite direction of the tension force. This means that as friction increases, the tension force decreases, and vice versa.

Back