Finding the Time: Solving a Rational Equation for Painting a Wall

• Thread starter Veronica_Oles
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rational
In summary, the question is asking for the number of hours it would take for person #2 to paint the wall alone, given that person #1 can paint 3m2 in x hours, person #2 can paint 7m2 in x + 2 hours, and together they can paint 22m2 in 10 hours. The equation to solve for this is 3/x + 7/(x+2) = 22/10.
Veronica_Oles

Homework Statement

Person 1 can paint 3m2 in x hours, person #2 can paint 7m2 in x + 2 hours however together they can paint 22m2 of the wall in 10 hours. How many hours did person #2 take to paint the wall?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Im confused at how to start the question. Would I arrange it to to be 3/x + 7/(x+2) = 22/10 if this is how you arrange it I know how to solve I just need to know if this step one is correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
Veronica_Oles said:

Homework Statement

Person 1 can paint 3m2 in x hours, person #2 can paint 7m2 in x + 2 hours however together they can paint 22m2 of the wall in 10 hours. How many hours did person #2 take to paint the wall?
Do you mean, "How many hours would person #2 take to paint the wall, working alone?"
Veronica_Oles said:

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Im confused at how to start the question. Would I arrange it to to be 3/x + 7/(x+2) = 22/10 if this is how you arrange it I know how to solve I just need to know if this step one is correct?

Likes Veronica_Oles
Veronica_Oles said:
You're on the right track here.

Mark44 said:
You're on the right track here.
Thank you.

Related to Finding the Time: Solving a Rational Equation for Painting a Wall

What is a rational equation?

A rational equation is an equation that involves fractions or rational expressions. These equations often contain variables in the denominator, making it necessary to find the values of the variables that make the equation true.

How do you solve a rational equation?

To solve a rational equation, you need to first simplify the equation by factoring and canceling out common factors. Then, cross-multiply to get rid of any remaining fractions. Finally, solve for the variable by isolating it on one side of the equation.

What are the common mistakes when solving rational equations?

One common mistake when solving rational equations is forgetting to check for extraneous solutions. These are solutions that make the denominator of the equation equal to zero, which is not allowed. It's important to always check your solutions by plugging them back into the original equation to make sure they are valid.

What are some real-world applications of rational equations?

Rational equations have many practical applications in fields such as physics, chemistry, and engineering. Some examples include calculating the speed of a moving object, determining the concentration of a solution, and finding the optimal ratio of ingredients in a mixture.

How can I improve my skills in solving rational equations?

The best way to improve your skills in solving rational equations is to practice regularly. Start with simple equations and gradually increase the level of difficulty. You can also find online resources and practice problems to help you strengthen your understanding and problem-solving skills.