Finding the trapezoid of smallest perimeter given a,b,h

In summary, the isosceles trapezoid has the smallest perimeter given the lengths of the bases and the height. This can be proven by drawing two triangles and minimizing the perimeter of the resulting triangle.
uman
Hi all,

It seems obvious that the trapezoid with the smallest perimeter given the lengths of the bases and the height is the isosceles trapezoid. How can I prove this (preferably using analytical methods)?

Note: this is not homework or anything. I need to know this as a step to prove the answer to a larger problem that I'm solving for my own pleasure, not for school.

Thanks for the help.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hi uman! :smile:

Cut out the clutter …

draw the two obvious triangles, then cut out the rectangle in between, and move the triangles together to make a new triangle …

now all you need is to minimise the perimeter of this new triangle. :wink:

FAQ: Finding the trapezoid of smallest perimeter given a,b,h

What is a trapezoid?

A trapezoid is a quadrilateral (a shape with four sides) that has two parallel sides and two non-parallel sides.

What is the perimeter of a trapezoid?

The perimeter of a trapezoid is the total distance around the outside of the shape. It can be calculated by adding together the lengths of all four sides.

What is the smallest perimeter for a trapezoid with given dimensions?

The smallest perimeter for a trapezoid with given dimensions can be found by using the formula P = a + b + 2h, where a and b are the lengths of the non-parallel sides and h is the height of the trapezoid.

What is the importance of finding the trapezoid of smallest perimeter?

Finding the trapezoid of smallest perimeter is important for optimizing resources and minimizing costs. This can be useful in real-world applications such as construction and manufacturing.

How can I find the trapezoid of smallest perimeter given a,b,h?

To find the trapezoid of smallest perimeter given a,b,h, you can use the formula P = a + b + 2h and plug in the values for a, b, and h. Then, you can manipulate the values to find the smallest possible perimeter.