Finding the unit vector for an ellipse

In summary: If you have just the eigenvalue, you can use equation 9.87 to find the coordinate of the direction vector.
InclusiveMonk

Homework Statement

Given the ellipse
##0.084x^2 − 0.079xy + 0.107y^2 = 1 ##
Find the semi-major and semi-minor axes of this ellipse, and a unit vector in the
direction of each axis.

I have calculated the semi-major and minor axes, I am just stuck on the final part.

Homework Equations

0c22c5ad34bcf75629605856c56be55c.png

c43200e74795e7e965b35f322575ec1b.png

this is where ##ux^2+2vxy+wy^2=1##

The Attempt at a Solution

I have calculated the two eigenvalues, 0.13664... and 0.05436... and therefore found the semi-major and semi-minor axes. I'm just not sure where to go next. I have worked out the ratios for q/p but I'm not sure how to use them.

Physics news on Phys.org
InclusiveMonk said:

Homework Statement

Given the ellipse
##0.084x^2 − 0.079xy + 0.107y^2 = 1 ##
Find the semi-major and semi-minor axes of this ellipse, and a unit vector in the
direction of each axis.

I have calculated the semi-major and minor axes, I am just stuck on the final part.

Homework Equations

0c22c5ad34bcf75629605856c56be55c.png

c43200e74795e7e965b35f322575ec1b.png

this is where ##ux^2+2vxy+wy^2=1##

The Attempt at a Solution

I have calculated the two eigenvalues, 0.13664... and 0.05436... and therefore found the semi-major and semi-minor axes. I'm just not sure where to go next. I have worked out the ratios for q/p but I'm not sure how to use them.

What did you get for the semi-major and semi-minor axes? If you found the angle ##\alpha## that one of them makes with the x-axis, the vector ##<cos(\alpha), sin(\alpha)>## is a unit vector in the direction of one of these axes. ##<-sin(\alpha), cos(\alpha)>## is a unit vector in the other one's direction.

Mark44 said:
What did you get for the semi-major and semi-minor axes? If you found the angle ##\alpha## that one of them makes with the x-axis, the vector ##<cos(\alpha), sin(\alpha)>## is a unit vector in the direction of one of these axes. ##<-sin(\alpha), cos(\alpha)>## is a unit vector in the other one's direction.

I got 2.705 for the semi-minor and 4.2890 for the semi-major. As far as I was aware these were just lengths, I solved them by equating those two q/p equations and rearranging to give ##λ^2-(u+w)λ+uw-v^2=0## and solving.
I basically followed the steps on these notes http://quince.leeds.ac.uk/~phyjkp/Files/Teach/phys2370notes4.pdf (It's page 2 on there) but I'm really confused about that last part (9.88)

Last edited by a moderator:
If you have u and v, you can use either eigenvalue and equation 9.85 to find the ratio q/p. Then the coordinates of a direction vector are (p, q).

Related to Finding the unit vector for an ellipse

1. What is a unit vector for an ellipse?

A unit vector for an ellipse is a vector that has a magnitude of 1 and is parallel to the direction of the major axis of the ellipse.

2. How do you find the unit vector for an ellipse?

To find the unit vector for an ellipse, you can use the formula (a,b)/√(a²+b²), where (a,b) represents the coordinates of the end point of the vector.

3. Why is finding the unit vector for an ellipse important?

Finding the unit vector for an ellipse is important because it allows us to represent the direction of the major axis of the ellipse in a standardized way. This can be useful in various applications, such as calculating the orientation of the ellipse or determining its relationship to other objects.

4. Can the unit vector for an ellipse change?

Yes, the unit vector for an ellipse can change depending on the orientation and size of the ellipse. The unit vector will always be parallel to the major axis of the ellipse, but its direction and magnitude may vary.

5. Is there a difference between a unit vector for a circle and a unit vector for an ellipse?

Yes, there is a difference between a unit vector for a circle and a unit vector for an ellipse. A unit vector for a circle will always have the same magnitude and direction, as a circle has equal radii and is symmetrical. On the other hand, a unit vector for an ellipse may have different magnitudes and directions depending on the size and orientation of the ellipse.