Finding the unknown forces at two supporting pins

• Thread starter ptguard1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Forces
In summary, the problem involves finding the unknown forces D_x, D_y, C_x, and C_y in a simple truss with a downward force applied at point A and a downward force of 0.75P at point E. The truss is composed of members AB, BD, DA, BE, and BC with pins at C and D. The force in truss members is always axial, meaning the resultant force is along the longitudinal centerline of each member. Using this information, the average normal stress in each member can be determined.
ptguard1

Homework Statement

In a simple truss where P = 8 kip, find the unknown forces D_x, D_y, C_x, and C_y then determine the average normal stress in each member.

Description of truss:

I cannot copy an image due to the source it is coming from, so here is my attempt at a description

A triangle with arms AB (going up and to the right (5 feet)), BD (going down and to the right(5 feet)), and DA (going to the left connecting back with A (8 feet)). Member BE cutting straight down the middle of the triangle (3 feet). Member BC parallel with member ED and equal length of 4 feet. Pins at C and D. The force P is applied downward at point A and the force 0.75P is applied downward at point E.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that in a 2D problem you can only have three unknowns to find the forces. I am able to find C_x and D_x to be 29.3 kip (D_x in the negative x direction), but cannot remember how to find the y values.

Attachments

• Truss.png
    Truss.png
    4.3 KB · Views: 514
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I am having difficulty downloading the attachament.

I went ahead and made a rough sketch on paint

ptguard1: The force in truss members is always axial. Therefore, you know C_y = 0.

What do you mean by an axial force?

ptguard1: The direction of the resultant (i.e., total) force in each truss member is always along the longitudinal centerline of each truss member. A force along the longitudinal centerline of a member is called an axial force.

I just discovered that I actually didn't need to find the forces at each pin in order to solve the overall problem, but thank you for the information.

FAQ: Finding the unknown forces at two supporting pins

1. What is the purpose of finding the unknown forces at two supporting pins?

The purpose of finding the unknown forces at two supporting pins is to understand the structural integrity and stability of a system. By determining the forces acting on the pins, we can ensure that they are able to support the weight and forces applied to them without failing.

2. How do you calculate the unknown forces at two supporting pins?

The unknown forces at two supporting pins can be calculated using the principles of statics and equilibrium. We must consider the forces acting on the pins, such as the weight of the object they are supporting and any external forces, and use equations of equilibrium to solve for the unknown forces.

3. What factors can affect the unknown forces at two supporting pins?

The unknown forces at two supporting pins can be affected by a variety of factors, such as the weight and distribution of the load, the angle and direction of the pins, and any external forces or vibrations acting on the system. The type and condition of the pins themselves can also impact the forces.

4. What tools or equipment are needed to find the unknown forces at two supporting pins?

To find the unknown forces at two supporting pins, we will need measuring tools such as a ruler or caliper to determine the dimensions of the pins and the object they are supporting. We may also use a force gauge or load cells to measure the forces acting on the pins. Additionally, we will need mathematical equations and principles to calculate the unknown forces.

5. What are some real-world applications of finding the unknown forces at two supporting pins?

Understanding the unknown forces at two supporting pins is crucial in many engineering and construction applications, such as designing and building bridges, buildings, and other structures. It is also important in the fields of mechanics and physics, as it helps us understand the forces at play in various systems and how they affect stability and equilibrium.