Finding the Unknown Penguin Mass: Solving Equations with Multiple Variables

• Thread starter Gold3nlily
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Simplifying
In summary, to simplify an equation, one must combine like terms, use the distributive property, and follow the order of operations. This process involves eliminating parentheses, combining similar terms, and simplifying exponents. The purpose of simplifying an equation is to make it easier to solve or understand by getting rid of unnecessary terms and simplifying complex expressions. Any type of equation can be simplified as long as it follows basic algebraic rules, but some may require multiple steps. An equation is fully simplified when all like terms are combined and parentheses are removed, leaving the simplest form. Simplifying an equation will not change its solution, as long as the same operations are applied to both sides.
Gold3nlily

Homework Statement

The figure here shows four penguins that are being playfully pulled along very slippery (frictionless) ice by a curator. The masses of three penguins and the tension in two of the cords are m1 = 13 kg, m3 = 17 kg, m4 = 22 kg, T2 = 112 N, and T4 = 224 N. Find the penguin mass m2 that is not given.

Homework Equations

F=ma
a=F/m
(T2/m1+m2) = (T4/m1 + m2 +m3+m4)

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand the concepts of this problem, I know i have to set these two equations equal to one another becasue all of the penguins experience the same acceleration.
(T2/m1+m2) = (T4/m1 + m2 +m3+m4)
I am trying to simplify this equation so that it is set equal to m2 but I have NO IDEA how to get the m2 OUT of the denominator of these fractions! Help please.

Physics news on Phys.org
What figure?

Also, use parentheses appropriately. You have used some in the 3rd line of your relevant equations and in your solution attempt, but they don't add any clarity whatsoever. The expressions would mean the same with or without the parentheses you added.

I suspect that the m1 and m2 on the left side of your first equation are in the denominator, and that the four masses are in the denominator on the right side.

Here is that equation again with parentheses in the right places.
T2/(m1+m2) = T4/(m1 + m2 +m3+m4)

If a numerator or denominator of a fraction two or more terms, put a pair of parentheses around the entire numerator or denominator.

Mark44 said:
What figure?

If a numerator or denominator of a fraction two or more terms, put a pair of parentheses around the entire numerator or denominator.

Okay, thank you Mark44.

Here's a link to the pick:
http://edugen.wiley.com/edugen/courses/crs4957/art/qb/qu/c05/fig_5_D.gif

So, T2/(m1 + m2) = T4/(m1 + m2 + m3 + m4) How do I get the m2 out?

1/(m1 + m2) = (T4/T2) x 1/(m1 + m2 + m3 + m4)
Is writing the equation this way any more useful? I don't know what to do next. I tried plugging in the numbers and simplifying but it didn't work. I ended up with m2 + 26 = m2 +13. The m2's cancel out when i do it that way and the equation doesn't make sense. What should I do?

No, that's no help.
Cross multiply, which is equivalent to multiplying both sides by (m1 + m2)(m1 + m2 + m3 + m4)

After you do that, expand (i.e., multiply) the two factors on each side. Then move all the terms that involve m2 to the left side, and move all the other terms to the right side. You should have T2*m2 - T4 * m2 on the left side, or m2(T2 - T4).

Finally, divide both sides by T2 - T4, and you will have solved for m2.

Gold3nlily said:
I know i have to set these two equations equal to one another
You never set equations equal to each other: you set expressions equal to each other.

Mark44 said:
No, that's no help.
Cross multiply, which is equivalent to multiplying both sides by (m1 + m2)(m1 + m2 + m3 + m4)

After you do that, expand (i.e., multiply) the two factors on each side. Then move all the terms that involve m2 to the left side, and move all the other terms to the right side. You should have T2*m2 - T4 * m2 on the left side, or m2(T2 - T4).

Finally, divide both sides by T2 - T4, and you will have solved for m2.

You never set equations equal to each other: you set expressions equal to each other.

I cannot thank you enough! It has been years since I have done this sort of math. I really appreciate your help! I will also try to be more careful with my terminology (equation/expression). Thank you, Thank you Mark44. :)

You're very welcome! I'm glad to have been able to help.

Related to Finding the Unknown Penguin Mass: Solving Equations with Multiple Variables

1. How do you simplify an equation?

To simplify an equation, you need to combine like terms, use the distributive property, and follow the order of operations. This will involve getting rid of parentheses, combining similar terms, and simplifying any exponents.

2. What is the purpose of simplifying an equation?

The purpose of simplifying an equation is to make it easier to solve or understand. By eliminating unnecessary terms and simplifying complex expressions, we can focus on the key components of the equation and find the solution more efficiently.

3. Can you simplify any type of equation?

Yes, you can simplify any type of equation as long as it follows basic algebraic rules. However, some equations may be more complex and require multiple steps to simplify.

4. How do you know when an equation is fully simplified?

An equation is fully simplified when there are no more like terms to combine and all parentheses have been removed. The final equation should be in its simplest form and cannot be simplified any further.

5. Can simplifying an equation change its solution?

No, simplifying an equation will not change its solution. As long as the same operations are applied to both sides of the equation, the solution will remain the same. Simplifying just makes the equation easier to work with.