Finding the velocity of a rock thrown vertically on Mars

In summary: No need to calculate H(1), or resort to a calculator (or the quadratic formula) to factorise the result:\begin{split}\lim_{t \to 1} \frac{H(t)- H(1)}{t - 1} &= \lim_{t \to 1} \frac{10t - 1.96t^2 - (10 \times 1 - 1.86 \times 1^2)}{t - 1} \\&= \lim_{t \to 1} \frac{10(t-1) - 1.86(t^2 - 1^2)}{t-1} \\&= \lim_{t
member 731016
Homework Statement
Please see below
Relevant Equations
Please see below
For this problem,
1682397665175.png

The answer is ##6.28 m/s##, however, I got ##-314 m/s## and I am not sure what I have done wrong.

My working is,
##H'(t) = \lim_{t \rightarrow 1} \frac{H(t) - H(1)}{t - 1}##
##H'(t) = \lim_{t \rightarrow 1} \frac{-1.86t^2 + 10t -8.14}{t - 1}##
##H'(t) = \lim_{t \rightarrow 1} \frac{(93t - 407)(t - 1)}{t - 1}##
##H'(t) = \lim_{t \rightarrow 1} 93t - 407 = -314##

Could someone please point out what I have done wrong?

Many thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
ChiralSuperfields said:
Homework Statement: Please see below
Relevant Equations: Please see below

For this problem,
View attachment 325465
The answer is ##6.28 m/s##, however, I got ##-314 m/s## and I am not sure what I have done wrong.

My working is,

Many thanks!
Are line 1 and line 2 equal?

-Dan

Likes member 731016
topsquark said:
Are line 1 and line 2 equal?

-Dan
Thank you for your reply @topsquark !

I believe the factorization is correct (I used my graphics calculator to find the roots). The derivative formula I am using is ##H'(t) = \lim_{t \rightarrow 1} \frac{H(t) - H(1)}{t - 1}##

Many thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
ChiralSuperfields said:
Thank you for your reply @topsquark !

I believe the factorization is correct (I used my graphics calculator to find the roots). The derivative formula I am using is ##H'(t) = \lim_{t \rightarrow 1} \frac{H(t) - H(1)}{t - 1}##

Many thanks!
So, you are saying that
##-1.86 t^2 + 10 t - 8.41 = (93 t - 407)(t - 1)##

FOIL out that RHS, please.

-Dan

Likes member 731016
topsquark said:
So, you are saying that
##-1.86 t^2 + 10 t - 8.41 = (93 t - 407)(t - 1)##

FOIL out that RHS, please.

-Dan
Thank you for your reply @topsquark!

True, they are not equal. I need to multiply the right hand ride by a factor of -1.86/93 to make the equations equal. This gives the correct solution.

Many thanks!

ChiralSuperfields said:
Homework Statement: Please see below
Relevant Equations: Please see below

For this problem,
View attachment 325465

My working is,
##H'(t) = \lim_{t \rightarrow 1} \frac{H(t) - H(1)}{t - 1}##

Many thanks!

No need to calculate [itex]H(1)[/itex], or resort to a calculator (or the quadratic formula) to factorise the result:[tex]
\begin{split}
\lim_{t \to 1} \frac{H(t)- H(1)}{t - 1} &= \lim_{t \to 1} \frac{10t - 1.96t^2 - (10 \times 1 - 1.86 \times 1^2)}{t - 1} \\
&= \lim_{t \to 1} \frac{10(t-1) - 1.86(t^2 - 1^2)}{t-1} \\
&= \lim_{t \to 1} \frac{10(t-1) -1.86(t + 1)(t - 1)}{t-1} \\
&= \lim_{t \to 1} \left(10 - 1.86(t + 1)\right) \\
&= 10 - 2 \times 1.86.\end{split}[/tex] But you can just differentiate [itex]H[/itex] directly. [tex]\begin{split}
H'(t) &= 10 - 2 \times 1.86 t \\
H'(1) &= 10 - 2 \times 1.86.
\end{split}[/tex]

Likes member 731016 and topsquark
I am surprised that you have to go to the basic definition of the derivative. The formula for the derivative of a polynomial would be covered very early in any calculus class. You should check whether you are expected to know that formula at this point. If so, you should review basic calculus and make the theorems and formulas in it second nature to you.

Likes member 731016, topsquark and hutchphd

Related to Finding the velocity of a rock thrown vertically on Mars

1. What is the initial velocity required to throw a rock to a certain height on Mars?

The initial velocity (v0) required to throw a rock to a certain height (h) on Mars can be calculated using the formula v0 = sqrt(2 * g * h), where g is the acceleration due to gravity on Mars, approximately 3.71 m/s².

2. How does the gravity on Mars affect the velocity of a thrown rock?

The gravity on Mars, which is about 3.71 m/s², is lower than Earth's gravity (9.81 m/s²). This means that a rock thrown vertically on Mars will experience less gravitational pull, allowing it to reach a higher altitude and stay in the air longer compared to Earth for the same initial velocity.

3. How can I calculate the velocity of the rock at a specific height during its ascent?

To calculate the velocity of the rock at a specific height (h) during its ascent, you can use the kinematic equation v = sqrt(v0² - 2gh), where v0 is the initial velocity, g is the acceleration due to gravity on Mars, and h is the height.

4. What is the formula to determine the time it takes for the rock to reach its peak height?

The time (t) it takes for the rock to reach its peak height can be found using the formula t = v0 / g, where v0 is the initial velocity and g is the acceleration due to gravity on Mars.

5. How can I find the total time the rock is in the air after being thrown vertically on Mars?

The total time (T) the rock is in the air can be calculated by doubling the time it takes to reach the peak height: T = 2 * (v0 / g), where v0 is the initial velocity and g is the acceleration due to gravity on Mars. This accounts for the time ascending and descending.