Finding the velocity of a standing wave

In summary: So I think I should be good! Thank you for your time and help!In summary, the distance between two consecutive nodes of a standing wave is 21.9 cm and the hand generating the pulses moves through a complete cycle 3.72 times every 4.22 seconds. To find the velocity of the wave, we need to know the frequency and wavelength. The wavelength can be determined by multiplying the distance between two nodes by 1.5. It is important to use units of meters when working with physics equations. After calculating the velocity, it was found to be approximately 29 m/s.
JRibaudo2813
1. The problem The distance between two consecutive nodes
of a standing wave is 21.9 cm. The hand generating the pulses moves up and down through
a complete cycle 3.72 times every 4.22 s.
Find the velocity of the wave.
Answer in units of m/s
2. Some relevant things to know are:
  • Frequency equals the number of vibrations a wave makes per second
  • to measure the wavelength of a wave, you must have the length between either: A) two antinodes (peaks,trofts,crests,etc.) or B) THREE nodes. Since we only know the length between two nodes, it is assumed that we can multiply the distance (21.9 cm) by 1.5 to figure out the distance between three nodes.
  • and finally, once you determine both the frequency and the wavelenght, you must know how to deduce the velocity out of both. the equation for that is v=fλ
3. Attempts I have attempted this problem several times using the above equations and methods. I came upon the answer 28.9578199052 m/s (≈29m/s) but apparently that is wrong.Thank you for any help you can provide, cheers!

Edit: my sincere apologies for butchering the template, sorry, I'm new here!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello and welcome to PF!

JRibaudo2813 said:
[*]to measure the wavelength of a wave, you must have the length between either: A) two antinodes (peaks,trofts,crests,etc.) or B) THREE nodes. Since we only know the length between two nodes, it is assumed that we can multiply the distance (21.9 cm) by 1.5 to figure out the distance between three nodes.

How is the wavelength related to the distance between two consecutive nodes?

Attachments

• Nodes.jpg
    Nodes.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 508
TSny said:
Hello and welcome to PF!

How is the wavelength related to the distance between two consecutive nodes?

My physics teacher taught us that you can measure wavelength by finding the lambda values. So we count 1λ, 1.5λ, 2λ. etc. etc. Then we use the equation (#λ)(λ)=length of wave segment. Three nodes would be one lambda value and two antinodes would be one lambda segment.

Be careful of your units also.

JRibaudo2813 said:
My physics teacher taught us that you can measure wavelength by finding the lambda values. So we count 1λ, 1.5λ, 2λ. etc. etc. Then we use the equation (#λ)(λ)=length of wave segment. Three nodes would be one lambda value and two antinodes would be one lambda segment.

What is the distance in cm between nodes N1 and N2? Between N1 and N3? What is the wavelength in cm?

Attachments

• Nodes.jpg
    Nodes.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 456
Last edited:
In physics, to be safe, use meters not cm. There are many constants in physics that assume you are using mks units, i.e. meters, kilograms, and seconds. Recall in chemistry you might use cgs units, centimeters, grams, and seconds.

barryj said:
Be careful of your units also.

Ah yes, this is probably the one thing I always over looked, units!

Thank you, I'm going to try it again later!

barryj said:
In physics, to be safe, use meters not cm. There are many constants in physics that assume you are using mks units, i.e. meters, kilograms, and seconds. Recall in chemistry you might use cgs units, centimeters, grams, and seconds.

Yah, I just realized that my main issue was mixing up centimeters with meters. I found the velocity as cm/s but overlooked it and entered it as m/s.

FAQ: Finding the velocity of a standing wave

1. What is a standing wave?

A standing wave is a wave that appears to be standing still, as it oscillates between two points in space. This is caused by the interference between two waves that are traveling in opposite directions.

2. How do you find the velocity of a standing wave?

The velocity of a standing wave can be found by multiplying the wavelength of the wave by its frequency. This is because the velocity of a wave is equal to the product of its wavelength and frequency.

3. What is the difference between the velocity of a standing wave and the velocity of a traveling wave?

The velocity of a standing wave is the speed at which energy is transferred, while the velocity of a traveling wave is the speed at which the wave itself travels through a medium.

4. Can the velocity of a standing wave be changed?

Yes, the velocity of a standing wave can be changed by altering either its wavelength or frequency. This can be done by changing the properties of the medium through which the wave is traveling.

5. What is the significance of finding the velocity of a standing wave?

Finding the velocity of a standing wave is important in understanding the behavior of waves and the properties of the medium through which they travel. It can also be used to determine the energy and momentum carried by the wave.