Finding the velocity of the wind

In summary, using the formula Vg = Va + Vw and given the values of Vg as 1050km/h N45∘E and Va as 1000km/h N40∘E, the velocity of the wind was calculated to be 102.4 km/h, or South 76.69° East, using the cosine law and converting between polar and rectangular coordinates.
xChee

Homework Statement

An airplane travels N40∘E at an airspeed of 1000km/h. Measurement on the ground shows that the plane is traveling N45∘E at a speed of 1050 km/h. Calculate the velocity of the wind.

Homework Equations

Vg = Va + Vw

The Attempt at a Solution

so i know we're suppose to use the formula Vg = Va + Vw

we know Vg is 1050km/h N45∘E
and Va is 1000km/h N40∘E
we don't know Vw, so we subtract it to the other side of the equation and we have a subtraction of vectors

I drew my vector diagram, and applied to cos law to get the veloctiy of the wind,

a= sqrt[1050^2 + 1000^2 -2(1000)(1050)cos∘]
and got 102.4 km/h as my wind velocity,

can someone confirm if I'm right? :s

Physics news on Phys.org
xChee said:

Homework Statement

An airplane travels N40∘E at an airspeed of 1000km/h. Measurement on the ground shows that the plane is traveling N45∘E at a speed of 1050 km/h. Calculate the velocity of the wind.

Homework Equations

Vg = Va + Vw

The Attempt at a Solution

so i know we're suppose to use the formula Vg = Va + Vw

we know Vg is 1050km/h N45∘E
and Va is 1000km/h N40∘E
we don't know Vw, so we subtract it to the other side of the equation and we have a subtraction of vectors

I drew my vector diagram, and applied to cos law to get the veloctiy of the wind,

a= sqrt[1050^2 + 1000^2 -2(1000)(1050)cos∘]
and got 102.4 km/h as my wind velocity,

can someone confirm if I'm right? :s

A good way that you can confirm the answer yourself is to use component-wise subtraction, and convert that back into polar coordinates. Are you familiar with converting back and forth between polar and rectangular coordinates?

berkeman said:
A good way that you can confirm the answer yourself is to use component-wise subtraction, and convert that back into polar coordinates. Are you familiar with converting back and forth between polar and rectangular coordinates?

no... :l

xChee said:
no... :l

Here is a referenc for you then (partway down this page):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polar_coordinate_system

Vectors are usually added and subtracted in rectangular coordinates, so a natural way to do your problem is to convert the vectors you are given into their x and y components in rectangular coordinates, do the subtraction, and then convert the answer back into the polar notation of the problem.

I worked it out. It is, indeed, 102.425km/h -13° from the positive x axis, or using your notation South 76.69° East.

FAQ: Finding the velocity of the wind

1. How is the velocity of the wind measured?

The velocity of the wind is typically measured using an instrument called an anemometer, which has rotating cups or vanes that are turned by the wind. The speed of rotation is then converted into a measurement of wind speed.

2. What units are used to measure wind velocity?

Wind velocity is commonly measured in miles per hour (mph) or meters per second (m/s). Other units such as kilometers per hour (km/h) and knots (nautical miles per hour) may also be used.

3. What factors can affect the velocity of the wind?

The velocity of the wind can be influenced by factors such as temperature, air pressure, and topography. Wind also tends to flow from areas of high pressure to areas of low pressure, which can affect its speed and direction.

4. How accurate are measurements of wind velocity?

The accuracy of wind velocity measurements can vary depending on the type of instrument used and the conditions in which it is being measured. Generally, modern anemometers are quite accurate and can provide measurements within a few percent of the true wind velocity.

5. What is the importance of knowing the velocity of the wind?

The velocity of the wind is important for several reasons. It can affect the behavior of weather systems, influence the growth and movement of plants and animals, and play a crucial role in activities such as sailing, aviation, and wind energy production. Accurate measurements of wind velocity can also help in predicting potential hazards such as strong winds or wind-driven wildfires.

Back