Finding The Volume Of Solid Using Triple Integrals II

In summary, triple integrals are a mathematical tool used to find the volume of a solid in three-dimensional space. They involve integrating a function over three variables, representing the dimensions of length, width, and height. This process can be used to find the volume of complex shapes and is an important concept in calculus and physics. In order to use triple integrals, the boundaries of the solid must be defined and the appropriate integral limits must be set. These integrals can also be used to find other properties of a solid, such as its center of mass. With practice and understanding of the concept, finding the volume of a solid using triple integrals can be a valuable skill in various fields of study.
wubie
Hello,

I am still unsure of my ability to evaluate the volume of a solid using triple integrals. Here is my question:

Find the volume of the region bounded by the paraboloids

z = x^2 + y^2

and

z = 36 - 3x^2 - 3y^2

Now I know that the intersection of the two paraboloids is

9 = x^2 + y^2.

But I am unsure how to set up the triple integral. I was thinking of splitting the volume into two halves.

But as I am writing this I am not sure that I have to do that. I would say I could set up the triple integral with the following limits of integration as so:

Let E be the solid in question. Then

E = {(x,y,z) | -3 <= x <= 3, -(9-x^2)^1/2 <= y <= (9-x^2)^1/2, x^2 + y^2 <= z <= 36 - 3x^2 - 3y^2 }

How does this look? First I would integrate with respect to z, then y then x.

I was thinking that I could split the solid into two triple integrals as such:

E = {(x,y,z) | -3 <= x <= 3, -(9-x^2)^1/2 <= y <= (9-x^2)^1/2, x^2 + y^2 <= z <= 9 }

and

E = {(x,y,z) | -3 <= x <= 3, -(9-x^2)^1/2 <= y <= (9-x^2)^1/2, 9 <= z <= 36 - 3x^2 - 3y^2 }

But I don't see a problem with the first way I set up the triple integral. However I haven't tried to integrate it as of yet.

Any thoughts on the problem would be appreciated. Thankyou.

Physics news on Phys.org
I really wouldn't do this volume in cartesian coordinates. This one's just begging for cylindrical coordinates (it's got rotational symmetry about the z-axis), so, without further ado:

z = x^2 + y^2 = r^2
z = 36 - 3x^2 - 3y^2 = 36 - 3r^2

r^2 = 36 - 3r^2
r = 3
z = 9

So the integral intersects when r = 3 and z = 9. It's not easy to figure out that it'd be real difficult do this in only one integral, so let's split the solid up into two smaller solids and add them.

Volume 1: The solid enclosed by z = r^2 and the plane z = 9.
Volume 2: The solid enclosed by the plane z = 9 and z = 36 - r^2

I'll do Volume 1, and you can have your hand at Volume 2.

Let's start with the obvious and go from there:

[tex]\int\!\!\!\int\!\!\!\int_{V_1}1\,dV[/tex]

So we have some kind of triple-integral over some volue. Since we're doing this is cylindrical coordinates,

[tex]dV = r\,dz\,dr\,d\theta[/tex]
with [itex]dz\,dr\,d\theta[/itex] arranged in whichever order we want.

Just because the math works out the easiest, I'll choose the order I wrote. So we have,

[tex]\int_{\theta_\textrm{low}}^{\theta_\textrm{high}}\!\!\!\int_{r_\textrm{low}(\theta)}^{z_\textrm{high}(\theta)}\!\!\!\int_{z_\textrm{low}(r,\theta)}^{z_\textrm{high}(r,\theta)}r\,dz\,dr\,d\theta[/tex]

For [itex]V_1[/itex],
[tex]z_\textrm{low}(r,\theta) = r^2[/tex]
[tex]z_\textrm{high}(r,\theta) = 9[/tex]
[tex]r_\textrm{low}(\theta) = 0[/tex]
[tex]r_\textrm{high}(\theta) = 3[/tex]
[tex]\theta_\textrm{low} = 0[/tex]
[tex]\theta_\textrm{low} = 2\pi[/tex]

So that gives us:

[tex]\int_0^{2\pi}\!\!\!\int_0^3\!\!\!\int_{r^2}^9r\,dz\,dr\,d\theta = \frac{81\pi}{2} = V_1[/tex]

Sorry about the 24-hour wait.

I got [itex]V = V_1 + V_2 = 243\pi[/tex] as the final answer.

If you want, I can write up a way to do it in Cartesian coordinates but, as I said, it's not exactly pretty.

cookiemonster

This one's just begging for cylindrical coordinates

Yes. I thought so too. However I usually try to set up the integral using cartesian coordinates then I show the conversion to polar coordinates.

I ended up doing the question in polar coordinates but I don't remember my answer.

I also ended up doing the question in one volume instead of two. I used the upper limit of

36 - 3r^2

and a lower limit of

r^2.

However, intuitively, I thought that splitting up the integral into two separate integrals was the way to go. And I think that is what I should have done in the first place.

Thanks again for the help cookiemonster.

Chhers.

I don't see any reason to "break the solid up into two smaller solids and add them". The parabola z= 36- 3x2- 3y2= 36- 3r2 is always above the parabola z= x2+ y2= r2 so that will be the upper and lower limits on the "z" integration. There is complete circular symmetry so the &theta; integration will be from 0 to 2&pi;. Finally, all of the volume lies inside the circle or intersection (which has radius 3) so the r integration will be from 0 to 3.
In cylindrical coordinates the volume is given by
[tex]\int_{\theta=0}^{2\pi}\int_{r=0}^3\int_{z=r^2}^{36-3r^2}rdzdrd\theta [/tex].

That reduces very quickly to [tex]2\pi\int_0^3r(36-3r^2-r^2)dr [/tex] or
[tex]2\pi\int_0^3(36r- 4r^3)dr [/tex]

Y'know what, HallsofIvy (and wubie, originally) is absolutely right. No reason to split them up. Silly cookie should pay more attention.

cookiemonster

Thanks very much to the both of you for your insights. It's good to be aware of different approaches.

Thanks for your help.

Cheers.

answer is actually 162*pi... not 81/2 pi... you just multiply the 2pi through the equation at the end, not divide.

FAQ: Finding The Volume Of Solid Using Triple Integrals II

1. How do you set up the triple integral for finding the volume of a solid?

To set up the triple integral, you need to determine the limits of integration for each variable (x, y, z) based on the boundaries of the solid. This can be done by visualizing the solid and breaking it down into smaller regions. Then, the integral can be written as the product of the three limits and the integrand, which is typically 1.

2. What is the difference between a single, double, and triple integral?

A single integral is used to find the area under a curve on a 2D plane. A double integral is used to find the volume under a surface on a 3D space. A triple integral is used to find the volume of a solid in a 3D space that cannot be easily represented by a surface.

3. How do you determine the order of integration for a triple integral?

The order of integration depends on the type of solid and the given boundaries. A general rule is to start with the innermost variable and work your way out, ensuring that the limits for each variable are in terms of the variables that have already been integrated.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when using triple integrals to find volume?

One common mistake is using the wrong limits of integration. It is important to carefully analyze the boundaries of the solid and determine the correct limits for each variable. Another mistake is forgetting to include the integrand, which is usually 1, in the integral expression.

5. When would you use triple integrals to find the volume of a solid?

Triple integrals are typically used when the solid cannot be easily represented by a surface, such as a more complex 3D shape. They are also useful when finding the volume of a region that has varying density, as the integrand can be modified to account for this variation.

Back