Finding the wave function for a Gaussian wave packet

In summary, for the given Gaussian wave packet ψ(x,0) built out of plane waves according to the amplitude distribution function A_{k} = \frac{Ca}{\sqrt{\pi}}e^{(-a^2(k-k_{0} )^2)}, the evolution of ψ(x,t) can be calculated using the equation ψ(x,t) = ∫^{∞}_{-∞} A_{k} e^{i(kx - wt)}dk and the Gaussian integrals ∫^{∞}_{-∞} e^{-Au^2}du = \sqrt{\frac{\pi}{A}} and ∫^{∞}_{-∞} u^2 e^{-Au^
phosgene

Homework Statement

Suppose a Gaussian wave packet ψ(x,0) is built out of plane waves according to the amplitude distribution function

[itex]A_{k} = \frac{Ca}{\sqrt{\pi}}e^{(-a^2(k-k_{0} )^2)}[/itex]

Calculate ψ(x,t) for this packet and describe its evolution.

Homework Equations

[itex]ψ(x,t) = ∫^{∞}_{-∞} A_{k} e^{i(kx - wt)}dk[/itex]

Gaussian integrals:

[itex]∫^{∞}_{-∞} e^{-Au^2}du = \sqrt{\frac{\pi}{A}}[/itex]

[itex]∫^{∞}_{-∞} u^2 e^{-Au^2}du = \frac{\sqrt{\pi}}{2A^{3/2}}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm fairly certain I'm supposed to put the equation for ψ(x,t) into the form of one of the above Gaussian integrals and use those identities to integrate it. But I'm really stuck as to how to do this. This is what I have to begin with:

[itex]ψ(x,t) = ∫^{∞}_{-∞} \frac{Ca}{\sqrt{\pi}}e^{(-a^2(k-k_{0} )^2)} e^{i(kx - wt)}dk[/itex]

Physics news on Phys.org
Any Gaussian integral can be solved by pretty much the same procedure. You should start by expanding out the exponents, and combining the exponentials to form a single polynomial. Then see if you can find a way to simplify the resulting integral.

Thanks, I think I got it after doing an *insane* amount of algebra.

Shouldn't have been all that insane...once you've assembled the polynomial, you just complete the square and shift the integration variable, and then use your Gaussian identity to evaluate the integral. Is that what you ended up doing, or was it something more complicated?

Basically what I did, but used the first 3 or so terms of the Taylor expansion of w around k0 as a sub for w, I guess part of it was just that it was my first time doing something like this, so I made a few wrong turns :p

Eesh. I think I may have mislead you with some poor wording choices--when I said "expand out the exponents", I didn't mean to do a Taylor expansion, I just meant to multiply out the quadratic term so that you could combine it with the other exponential.

[tex]e^{-a^2(k-k_0)^2}e^{i(kx-\omega t)} = e^{-a^2k^2 + 2a^2kk_0 - a^2k_0^2}e^{ikx-i\omega t} = e^{-a^2k^2 + (2a^2k_0+ix)k - a^2k_0^2 -i\omega t}[/tex]

Once you have it in that form, all Gaussian integrals can be solved by the same procedure:

[tex]\int_{-\infty}^\infty dx\: e^{-\frac{A}{2}x^2 + Bx + C}[/tex]

Remove constants, and factor in terms:
[tex] = e^C \int_{-\infty}^\infty dx\: e^{-\frac{A}{2}(x^2 - \frac{2B}{A}x})[/tex]

Complete the square:
[tex] = e^C \int_{-\infty}^\infty dx\: e^{-\frac{A}{2}(x^2 - \frac{2B}{A}x + \frac{B^2}{A^2} - \frac{B^2}{A^2})} = e^C \int_{-\infty}^\infty dx\: e^{-\frac{A}{2}(x^2 - \frac{2B}{A}x + \frac{B^2}{A^2})}e^{\frac{B^2}{2A}} = e^{C+\frac{B^2}{2A}}\int_{-\infty}^\infty dx\: e^{-\frac{A}{2}(x - \frac{B}{A})^2}[/tex]

Now shift integration variables to [itex]u=x - \frac{B}{A}[/itex]:
[tex] = e^{C+\frac{B^2}{2A}} \int_{-\infty}^\infty du\: e^{-\frac{A}{2}u^2}[/tex]

And finally, use your Gaussian integral identity [itex]\int_{-\infty}^\infty du\: e^{-\frac{A}{2}u^2} = \sqrt{\frac{2\pi}{A}}[/itex]:

[tex] = \sqrt{\frac{2\pi}{A}}e^{C+\frac{B^2}{2A}}[/tex]

Just plug in the right constants for [itex]A[/itex], [itex]B[/itex], and [itex]C[/itex], and you're done. You're going to be doing a lot of Gaussian integrals throughout your study of QM, so it's important to get comfortable with this procedure.

Sorry again if I mislead you, hopefully this helps!

Oh no, it wasn't because of you, it's just something the lecturer did in a similar problem. Since w is a function of k, but we aren't assuming that we know what w is, I approximated it with the first few terms of the Taylor expansion around k0. My answer was the same form as yours though, so I think I got the right answer. Thanks for your help :)

FAQ: Finding the wave function for a Gaussian wave packet

1. What is a Gaussian wave packet?

A Gaussian wave packet is a type of wave function that describes the probability of finding a particle in a certain position and momentum. It is shaped like a bell curve and is often used to describe the behavior of quantum particles.

2. How is the wave function for a Gaussian wave packet found?

The wave function for a Gaussian wave packet can be found using the Schrödinger equation, which is a mathematical equation that describes the behavior of quantum particles. It involves solving for the coefficients of the wave function using the initial conditions of the particle.

3. What are the key properties of a Gaussian wave packet?

The key properties of a Gaussian wave packet include its width, which represents the uncertainty in the position of the particle, and its spread, which represents the uncertainty in the momentum of the particle. It also has a peak at a specific position and momentum, and its amplitude decreases as it moves away from the peak.

4. How is a Gaussian wave packet different from other wave functions?

Unlike other wave functions, a Gaussian wave packet is not a standing wave and does not have a fixed wavelength. It is also not a solution to the Schrödinger equation, but rather an approximation that is often used for simplicity in calculations.

5. What are some real-world applications of the Gaussian wave packet?

The Gaussian wave packet is commonly used in quantum mechanics to describe the behavior of particles, such as electrons, in various systems. It is also used in fields such as quantum computing and quantum cryptography, where the behavior of particles is crucial to understanding and manipulating information.