Finding the x-Intercept of a Perpendicular Line Passing Through a Given Point

• Thread starter MrNeWBiE
  • Start date
In summary, the question asks to find the x-intercept of a line passing through the point (1,2) and perpendicular to the line joining (1,1) and (3,4). After some calculation, the x-intercept is found to be (4,0).
MrNeWBiE

Homework Statement

Find the x-intercept of the line that passes through the point (1; 2) and perpendicular to the
line joining (1; 1) and (3; 4):

The Attempt at a Solution

I want to confirm my steps if it's right ,,,,

M=(4-1)/(3-1)= 3/2

y-1=3/2(x-1) ====> y=(3/2)x-1/2

perpendicular = m1xm2=-1 ====> m2=-2/3

y-2=-2/3(x-1) ====> y=(-2/3)x+4/5

making it one equation

(3/2)x-(1/2)=(2/3)x+(4/3)
x=11/13

Physics news on Phys.org
MrNeWBiE said:
making it one equation

(3/2)x-(1/2)=(2/3)x+(4/3)
x=11/13

I am not sure what you did here. I am assuming you were trying to combine the equation of the first line with the second line. If so, you have calculated the point of intersection of the two lines, which is not what the question has asked for. The question asked you for the x-intercept of the line.

aha ,,,
so I should not combine them ,,,

(-2/3)x+4/5 = 0 ?

and the answer will be (10/13,0)

Looks good to me!

ops ,,,
I had a mistake in y=(-2/3)x+4/5 ,,, should be y=(-2/3)x+8/3

the answer is (4,0) ,,,

btw the for your helping

Related to Finding the x-Intercept of a Perpendicular Line Passing Through a Given Point

1. What is the definition of an x-intercept?

An x-intercept is a point on the x-axis where a graph crosses or intersects the x-axis. It is the point where the y-coordinate is equal to 0.

2. How do I find the x-intercept of a linear equation?

To find the x-intercept of a linear equation, set the y-value equal to 0 and solve for x. This will give you the x-coordinate of the intercept.

3. Can there be more than one x-intercept?

Yes, there can be multiple x-intercepts for a single graph. This occurs when the graph crosses the x-axis at more than one point.

4. How is the x-intercept related to the slope of a line?

The x-intercept and the slope of a line are related through the equation y = mx + b, where m is the slope and b is the y-intercept. The x-intercept is the point where y = 0, so setting y = 0 in the equation will give you the x-coordinate of the intercept.

5. Can the x-intercept be negative?

Yes, the x-intercept can be negative. This occurs when the graph crosses the x-axis to the left of the origin (0,0). The x-intercept will always be represented as a coordinate pair (x,0), so the x-coordinate can be negative in this case.

Back