Finding thermal equilibrium of hot iron placed in water

In summary, at 100 degrees C, the water boils and some water is lost as steam due to the iron's higher temperature.
forestmine

Homework Statement

You cool a 100g slug of red-hot iron (temperature 745 degrees C) by dropping it into an insulated cup of negligible mass containing 85g of water at 20 degrees C. Assuming no heat exchange with the surroundings, what is the final temperature of the water?

Homework Equations

Q=mcΔT
Q=mL
specific heat of water c=4190 J/kgK
specific heat of iron c=470 J/kgK
Heat of vaporization of water L=2256 x 10^3 J/kg

The Attempt at a Solution

I've looked at several other similar threads on the forums, but I'm not really looking for an answer, just some clarification of some points that I haven't quite grasped yet.

My initial attempt at a solution entailed Q(water) + Q(heat) = 0, but this method gave me an answer of 104 degrees C, which implies some of the water changes phase, so I know I need to include Q=ml in my equation to account for that, but I don't really see how to do that.

Some direction would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
There is something not right with this question or else it is a bit of a trick.
I found that the heat energy lost by the iron cooling from 745C to 100C is greater than the heat energy needed to warm the water from 20C to 100C.
To me it seems that the water boils and some water is lost as steam.

You're right, the solution states the same thing. Specifically, it solves for Q(iron) and for the difference in temperature, it uses 745-100. Same thing for Q(water): 100-20. I understand that 100 degrees C is the boiling temperature of water, but I guess I'm just not understanding why we assume the iron cools from 745 to 100, and that the water heats to 100...

...hope that makes sense?

Water can't be hotter than 100C under normal conditions.
A sensible variation on this question would be to ask you the mass of water that is lost due to the boiling(evaporation)

Ok, I understand that, but why is the difference in temperature of the iron 645 degrees C?

Is no calculation really necessary to determine the final temperature of the water is 100C simply because we know it can't exist as liquid water past 100C, and since the iron is significantly hotter it will bring the water to boiling?

Yes...that is basically it. The iron starts at 745C, once it is placed in water and the water gets to 100 C that is the end of the temperature change. The extra heat (I got about 2000J) that needs to be removed from the iron is used to convert liquid water into steam

Ok, got it. Excellent explanation. Thank you so much!

FAQ: Finding thermal equilibrium of hot iron placed in water

1. How does the temperature of the water affect the rate of thermal equilibrium with the hot iron?

The temperature of the water plays a big role in the rate of thermal equilibrium with the hot iron. The larger the temperature difference between the hot iron and the water, the faster the heat transfer will occur and the quicker the thermal equilibrium will be reached.

2. Does the size or shape of the hot iron affect the rate of thermal equilibrium with the water?

The size and shape of the hot iron can impact the rate of thermal equilibrium with the water. A larger surface area of the hot iron will result in a faster heat transfer and therefore a quicker thermal equilibrium. The shape of the hot iron can also affect the rate of heat transfer, as a longer and thinner shape will have a larger surface area and therefore a faster rate of thermal equilibrium.

3. Is the thermal conductivity of the hot iron important in determining the rate of thermal equilibrium with the water?

Yes, the thermal conductivity of the hot iron plays a significant role in determining the rate of thermal equilibrium with the water. Materials with higher thermal conductivity, such as metals, will transfer heat more quickly and therefore reach thermal equilibrium faster than materials with lower thermal conductivity.

4. Can the presence of impurities in the water affect the thermal equilibrium with the hot iron?

Yes, the presence of impurities in the water can affect the thermal equilibrium with the hot iron. Impurities can act as insulators and slow down the rate of heat transfer, resulting in a longer time to reach thermal equilibrium. This is why it is important to use pure water in experiments involving thermal equilibrium.

5. How can the thermal equilibrium of the hot iron and water be measured?

The thermal equilibrium of the hot iron and water can be measured by using a thermometer to track the temperature of both the hot iron and the water over time. When the temperatures of both the hot iron and water are equal, thermal equilibrium has been reached. This can also be visually observed by looking for a change in the color of the water as it absorbs heat from the hot iron.

Back