Finding Thevenin Equivalent: 6 Ohm Resistor

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the Thevenin equivalent of a circuit in order to determine current and potential difference across a specific resistor. It is suggested to remove all sources to find the equivalent resistance and then either find the open-circuit voltage or short circuit current. The speaker also mentions that the equivalent resistance can be found by finding the resistance of the right and left parts of the circuit in parallel.
Altairs
I have to find the thevenin equivalent of the following circuit in order to find the current and potential difference across the 6 ohm resistor. I can not get to know that where should I start. Should I divide the circuit into 2 parts or what?

http://img141.imageshack.us/img141/2690/416qr1.th.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your link leads to a search engine without the picture displayed. Try hosting it on imageshack.us instead.

Update: No you don't have to do that. Since there are no dependent sources, you can kill all voltage and current sources to find the Thevenin equivalent resistance. Then either find the open-circuit Thevenin voltage or the short circuit current.

Last edited:
Done

I have learned to find the thevenin equivalent of one port circuits only. If I find Req from right it comes out to be 1 ohm. Where should I start to find the Req? and to find voc Ill have to remove the 6ohm resistor right?

Ok I didn't check your 1 ohm calculation. But if you find the Req for right and left parts of the circuit, then the total Req is the equivalent resistance in parallel.

As for the Vth, yes you have to remove it to make an open circuit.

Related to Finding Thevenin Equivalent: 6 Ohm Resistor

1. What is Thevenin's theorem?

Thevenin's theorem states that any linear circuit with voltage and current sources can be simplified to an equivalent circuit with a single voltage source and a single series resistor.

2. How do I find the Thevenin equivalent of a circuit?

To find the Thevenin equivalent, you need to remove the load resistor and calculate the open circuit voltage across the load terminals. Then, calculate the equivalent resistance by shorting all voltage sources and opening all current sources in the original circuit. The Thevenin voltage is the open circuit voltage and the Thevenin resistance is the equivalent resistance.

3. What is the significance of the 6 Ohm resistor in the Thevenin equivalent?

The 6 Ohm resistor represents the equivalent resistance of the original circuit when all voltage sources are shorted and all current sources are opened. It is necessary for calculating the Thevenin equivalent voltage.

4. Why is the Thevenin equivalent useful?

The Thevenin equivalent allows us to simplify complex circuits into a single voltage source and a single resistance, making it easier to analyze and design circuits. It also helps in determining the maximum power that can be delivered to a load.

5. Can the Thevenin equivalent be used for non-linear circuits?

No, Thevenin's theorem only applies to linear circuits. Non-linear circuits have different characteristics and cannot be simplified to a single voltage source and resistance.