Finding Thevenin Equivalent of Circuit

In summary, the process for finding the Thevenin equivalent of the given circuit involves setting the current source to zero and finding the equivalent resistance (Rth) by combining the rightmost resistor in series with the parallel of 2 and 4 ohm. The open circuit voltage is then found using a current divider formula with the given current source and the equivalent resistance. Finally, the Thevenin equivalent circuit is determined by placing the Rth in series with the open circuit voltage source.
johndoe
3104980940_408866c01d_o.jpg

Finding the thevenin equivalent of the above circuit

This is what I did, I set the current source to zero, no current passes through
so the Rth is the resistor on farthest right // with another 2 in series with 4.
so it is 5ohms?

Finding the open circuit voltage, I use a current divider(the current source is 10A given):
10 times ( 1/(2//2+2)) ) / (1/2 + 1/(2//2+2)) ) does it look alright to you guys? others solutions are appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
johndoe said:
3104980940_408866c01d_o.jpg

Finding the thevenin equivalent of the above circuit

This is what I did, I set the current source to zero, no current passes through
so the Rth is the resistor on farthest right // with another 2 in series with 4.
so it is 5ohms?

Finding the open circuit voltage, I use a current divider(the current source is 10A given):
10 times ( 1/(2//2+2)) ) / (1/2 + 1/(2//2+2)) ) does it look alright to you guys? others solutions are appreciated

Your analysis is wrong. With the source open circuited, you have the rightmost resistor in series with the parallel of 2 and 4 ohm.
For the open circuit voltage, the source divides by a 2 ohm resistor on the left and 2+2 = 4 ohm in the right. The voltage is the current in the right arm times 2 ohm.

CEL said:
Your analysis is wrong. With the source open circuited, you have the rightmost resistor in series with the parallel of 2 and 4 ohm.
For the open circuit voltage, the source divides by a 2 ohm resistor on the left and 2+2 = 4 ohm in the right. The voltage is the current in the right arm times 2 ohm.

o so the Rth is 4//2 +2= 3.33 and since there is no current in the far right resistor, the current divider just involves the other 3 ?

hello johndoe,
yes the current divides between the three resistor and does not involve the rightmost resistor as no current flows because of open circuit.
And your Rth looks correct to me

FAQ: Finding Thevenin Equivalent of Circuit

What is the Thevenin equivalent of a circuit?

The Thevenin equivalent is a simplified representation of a complex circuit that contains a voltage source and a resistor. It is used to analyze the behavior of a circuit and can be used to calculate the current and voltage at a specific point in the circuit.

How is the Thevenin equivalent calculated?

The Thevenin equivalent is calculated by removing the load or component of interest from the circuit and replacing it with a voltage source and a resistor. The voltage source is equal to the open-circuit voltage at the load terminals, and the resistor is equal to the resistance seen from the load terminals.

Why is the Thevenin equivalent important?

The Thevenin equivalent is important because it simplifies complex circuits and makes them easier to analyze. It also allows engineers and scientists to determine the behavior of a circuit without having to consider all of the components in the original circuit.

What are the limitations of using the Thevenin equivalent?

The Thevenin equivalent is only accurate for linear circuits, meaning that the components in the circuit must follow Ohm's law. It also assumes that the circuit is in a steady-state, meaning that there are no changing voltages or currents in the circuit.

How can the Thevenin equivalent be used in practical applications?

The Thevenin equivalent can be used in practical applications such as circuit design, troubleshooting, and analysis. It can also be used to determine the maximum power transfer in a circuit, as well as to compare different circuit configurations to find the most efficient design.