Finding Thevenins equivlant using his thereom and nortons

• Thread starter monkeyhead
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about finding the Thevenin's equivalent of a network. The person has attempted to find the equivalent resistance by replacing all voltage sources with shorts and current sources with open circuits. They have obtained a resistance of 1.499 ohm. The next step is to find the open-circuit voltage across A and B to determine the Thevenin equivalent voltage. There is a suggestion to use source transformations as well.
monkeyhead
Hi there,
See attached for original circuit.

Basically I need to find thevenins equivalent of the network.

My attempt:-
To find the resistor equivalent
First of all I replaced all voltage sources with shorts, and replaced all current sources with open circuits.

This left me with 16 ohm (10+6),24 ohm and, 1.777 all in parallel.

The sum of the resistors gives the equivalent resistance of 1.499 ohm.

Now this is the part where I don't know what to do next. Do I convert the circuit so the sources are voltage sources?

Any help or guidance most appreciated

Any guidance much appreciated!

Attachments

• thevinb.jpg
    thevinb.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 457
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi, I suggest that you do the transformation so all the voltage sources and current sources can be unite into one. This is just a suggestion.Please correct me if I'm wrong. Thank you!

You need to find the open-circuit voltage across A and B with all the sources activated. This will be the Thevenin equivalent voltage.

I believe using source transformations would have also worked...

Related to Finding Thevenins equivlant using his thereom and nortons

1. What is Thevenin's theorem?

Thevenin's theorem is a fundamental principle in circuit analysis that allows us to simplify complex circuits into an equivalent circuit with a single voltage source and a single resistor.

2. How do you find the Thevenin equivalent circuit?

To find the Thevenin equivalent circuit, we follow two steps: first, we remove the load resistor and determine the open-circuit voltage at the load terminals. Then, we remove all sources and determine the equivalent resistance seen from the load terminals. The Thevenin equivalent circuit will have the same open-circuit voltage and equivalent resistance as the original circuit.

3. What is the difference between Thevenin and Norton equivalent circuits?

Thevenin and Norton equivalent circuits are two different ways of simplifying a complex circuit. Thevenin's theorem uses a voltage source and a resistor, while Norton's theorem uses a current source and a resistor. The main difference is the type of source used, but both equivalent circuits have the same voltage/current relationship at the load terminals.

4. Can Thevenin's theorem be used for non-linear circuits?

No, Thevenin's theorem can only be applied to linear circuits. Non-linear circuits have varying resistance values and cannot be represented by a single equivalent resistance. In those cases, we must use other techniques, such as the superposition theorem, to analyze the circuit.

5. Is Thevenin's theorem always accurate?

Thevenin's theorem is an approximation technique, so it may not be 100% accurate. It assumes that the circuit is linear and that all components are operating in their linear region. If these conditions are not met, the Thevenin equivalent circuit may not accurately represent the behavior of the original circuit.