Finding this function's series expansion

In summary, the individual is looking for the series expansion of ln[x + (1+x2)1/2] and managed to find the MacLaurin series expansion by using the definition of MacLaurin series. They are also interested in learning about other mathematical tricks to find series expansions and were advised to take the derivative of ln[x + (1+x2)1/2] and integrate term by term to get the final result.
tamtam402

Homework Statement

I'm trying to find the series expansion of ln[x + (1+x2)1/2].

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I managed to find the MacLaurin series expansion by using the definition of MacLaurin series, which means I had to derive the function multiple times. However, I'd like to know if there's another way I could've used to find the series, which would be another mathematical trick I'd add into my arsenal.

Physics news on Phys.org
tamtam402 said:

Homework Statement

I'm trying to find the series expansion of ln[x + (1+x2)1/2].

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I managed to find the MacLaurin series expansion by using the definition of MacLaurin series, which means I had to derive the function multiple times. However, I'd like to know if there's another way I could've used to find the series, which would be another mathematical trick I'd add into my arsenal.
Sure:

Take the derivative of [itex]\displaystyle \ln\left(x+\sqrt{1+x^2}\right)\ .[/itex]

The resulting function looks much easier to work with.

Then integrate term by term to get your final result.

Last edited:
That function is also known as arcsinh x. Try finding the series for the derivative of arcsinh and then integrate that result term by term.

(Beaten by mere seconds!)

Thanks to you two!

FAQ: Finding this function's series expansion

1. What is a series expansion?

A series expansion, also known as a Taylor series or power series, is a mathematical representation of a function as an infinite sum of terms. It allows us to approximate a function using polynomials, making it easier to perform calculations and analyze the behavior of the function.

2. How do you find the series expansion of a function?

To find the series expansion of a function, we use a well-known formula called the Taylor series formula. This involves taking derivatives of the function at a specific point and plugging them into the formula. The result is an infinite sum of terms that represents the function.

3. What is the purpose of finding a function's series expansion?

The purpose of finding a function's series expansion is to approximate the function and make it easier to work with. This is especially useful when dealing with complex functions that are difficult to solve directly. Series expansions also allow us to study the behavior of functions and make predictions about their values at different points.

4. Can any function have a series expansion?

No, not all functions have a series expansion. A function must be infinitely differentiable at a specific point in order for its series expansion to exist. This means that the function must have derivatives of all orders at that point. Otherwise, the series expansion will not converge.

5. Are there any limitations to using series expansions?

Yes, there are limitations to using series expansions. They can only approximate a function within a certain range or interval. Outside of this range, the series may not converge or may give inaccurate results. Additionally, series expansions can be time-consuming to calculate, especially for complex functions with a large number of terms.