Finding this recurrence relation for stuck-together right-angle triangles

In summary: I think the difference might be in the fact that you are assuming the angles in the given diagram are all $\theta_0$ (ie $θ_0 = 0$), whereas I am assuming that some of the angles can be arbitrary.
nacho-man
Given the image:
http://i.stack.imgur.com/EJ3ax.jpgand that $x_0 = 1, y_0=0$ and $\text{angles} \space θ_i
, i = 1, 2, 3, · · ·$ can be arbitrarily picked.

How can I derive a recurrence relationship for $x_{n+1}$ and $x_n$?

I actually know what the relationship is, however, don't know how to derive it.

My first attempt was to try and see some geometrical pattern, so I did the following:

http://i.stack.imgur.com/4BNyq.jpg

But still couldn't find a derivation.

Although it is obvious to see that $x_0 = x_1$

so for $n = 0$

We have $x_{1} = x_{0}+0 $

any tips, hints or help very much appreciated.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
nacho said:
Given the image:
http://i.stack.imgur.com/EJ3ax.jpgand that $x_0 = 1, y_0=0$ and $\text{angles} \space θ_i
, i = 1, 2, 3, · · ·$ can be arbitrarily picked.

How can I derive a recurrence relationship for $x_{n+1}$ and $x_n$?

I actually know what the relationship is, however, don't know how to derive it.

My first attempt was to try and see some geometrical pattern, so I did the following:

http://i.stack.imgur.com/4BNyq.jpg

But still couldn't find a derivation.

Although it is obvious to see that $x_0 = x_1$

so for $n = 0$

We have $x_{1} = x_{0}+0 $

any tips, hints or help very much appreciated.

Setting $\displaystyle \alpha_{n}= \theta_{0} + \sum_{i =1}^{n} \theta_{n}$ is $x_{n} = \cos \alpha_{n}$ and $y_{n} = \sin \alpha_{n}$, so that, applying the 'angle sum identities', the requested recursive relation are...

$\displaystyle x_{n+1} = x_{n}\ \cos \theta_{n} - y_{n}\ \sin \theta_{n}$

$\displaystyle y_{n+1} = x_{n}\ \sin \theta_{n} + y_{n}\ \cos \theta_{n}\ (1)$

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

chisigma said:
Setting $\displaystyle \alpha_{n}= \theta_{0} + \sum_{i =1}^{n} \theta_{n}$ is $x_{n} = \cos \alpha_{n}$ and $y_{n} = \sin \alpha_{n}$, so that, applying the 'angle sum identities', the requested recursive relation are...

$\displaystyle x_{n+1} = x_{n}\ \cos \theta_{n} - y_{n}\ \sin \theta_{n}$

$\displaystyle y_{n+1} = x_{n}\ \sin \theta_{n} + y_{n}\ \cos \theta_{n}\ (1)$

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

Still helpful as ever chi sigma!

Thank you my friend.

Could I just clarify which formula you used to get the recursive relationship?
can it be found on this page anywhere?:
Trigonometric Identities

I am thinking it is this one:

$\cos(α + β) = \cos(α)\cos(β) – \sin(α)\sin(β) $Although, the recurrence relationship I am given for this is that

$x_{n+1} = x_n - y_n \tan(\theta_{n+1})$

and

$y_{n+1} = y_n + x_n \tan(\theta_{n+1})$

Last edited:
nacho said:
Still helpful as ever chi sigma!

Thank you my friend.

Could I just clarify which formula you used to get the recursive relationship?
can it be found on this page anywhere?:
Trigonometric Identities

I am thinking it is this one:

$\cos(α + β) = \cos(α)\cos(β) – \sin(α)\sin(β) $Although, the recurrence relationship I am given for this is that

$x_{n+1} = x_n - y_n \tan(\theta_{n+1})$

and

If the $x_{n}$ are 'cosines' and the $y_{n}$ are 'sines' the trigonometric identities to be used are...

$\displaystyle \cos (\alpha + \beta) = \cos \alpha\ \cos \beta - \sin \alpha\ \sin \beta\ (1)$

$\displaystyle \sin (\alpha + \beta) = \cos \alpha\ \sin \beta + \sin \alpha\ \cos \beta\ (2)$

Regarding the relation You have found, I think it is in some way critical: what does it happen if fon one n is $\theta_{n} = \frac{\pi}{2}$?(Speechless)...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

chisigma said:
If the $x_{n}$ are 'cosines' and the $y_{n}$ are 'sines' the trigonometric identities to be used are...

$\displaystyle \cos (\alpha + \beta) = \cos \alpha\ \cos \beta - \sin \alpha\ \sin \beta\ (1)$

$\displaystyle \sin (\alpha + \beta) = \cos \alpha\ \sin \beta + \sin \alpha\ \cos \beta\ (2)$

Regarding the relation You have found, I think it is in some way critical: what does it happen if fon one n is $\theta_{n} = \frac{\pi}{2}$?(Speechless)...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

$\chi$ the relation that I put was the one we are given to derive. So I guess the assumption is $\theta < \frac{\pi}{2}$, which is also consistent with the diagram given.

I.e We are told the recurrence relation is :$x_{n+1} = x_n - y_n \tan(\theta_{n+1})$

and

and I need to derive it.

It seems almost similar to what you got, so I wonder where the difference comes about?

Related to Finding this recurrence relation for stuck-together right-angle triangles

1. What is a recurrence relation for stuck-together right-angle triangles?

A recurrence relation for stuck-together right-angle triangles is a mathematical formula that describes the relationship between the number of triangles in a figure and the number of sides of those triangles. This relation is used to determine the total number of triangles in a complex figure made up of smaller, interconnected right-angle triangles.

2. How do you find a recurrence relation for stuck-together right-angle triangles?

To find a recurrence relation for stuck-together right-angle triangles, you can start by identifying the base case (the simplest figure with a known number of triangles) and then look for patterns as you add more triangles to the figure. The resulting formula will involve the number of sides of the triangles and the number of triangles in the previous figure.

3. Why is it important to find a recurrence relation for stuck-together right-angle triangles?

Finding a recurrence relation for stuck-together right-angle triangles is important because it allows us to determine the total number of triangles in a complex figure without having to count each one individually. This can save time and effort, especially for larger figures with a high number of interconnected triangles.

4. Can a recurrence relation for stuck-together right-angle triangles be used for other shapes?

While a recurrence relation for stuck-together right-angle triangles is specific to figures made up of right-angle triangles, similar techniques can be used to find recurrence relations for other shapes, such as squares or hexagons. The key is to identify the relationship between the number of sides and the number of shapes in the figure.

5. Are there any real-world applications for a recurrence relation for stuck-together right-angle triangles?

Yes, there are many real-world applications for a recurrence relation for stuck-together right-angle triangles. For example, it can be used in computer graphics to determine the number of pixels needed to represent a complex figure, or in manufacturing to calculate the number of raw materials needed for a specific design. It can also be used in geometry and topology to study the properties of complex shapes made up of smaller, interconnected triangles.