Finding Time, given velocity and acceleration

In summary, the bicyclist in the conversation is repairing a flat tire when his friend passes by with a constant speed of 3.9 m/s. After two seconds, the bicyclist accelerates at a rate of 2.0 m/s^2 until he catches up with his friend. To solve this problem, distance formulas need to be used, taking into account the 2 second delay by using t in one formula and t-2 in the other.
bustin

Homework Statement

A bicyclist is finishing his repair of a flat tire when a friend rides by with a constant speed of 3.9 m/s. Two seconds later the bicyclist hops on his bike and accelerates at 2.0 m/s^{2} until he catches his friend.

Homework Equations

V=V0+At

The Attempt at a Solution

Well I could put the numbers in the equation but I know its wrong anyways. Not sure how to get this problem going.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You need distance formulas because the distance traveled is the same in both cases.
Don't forget to account for the 2 second delay. You might want to put t in one formula and t-2 in the other.

I would approach this problem by first defining the variables and their units. The velocity of the friend is given as 3.9 m/s, and the acceleration of the bicyclist is given as 2.0 m/s^2. The time it takes for the bicyclist to catch his friend is unknown and will be represented by t.

Next, I would use the kinematic equation V = V0 + at to solve for time. In this case, the initial velocity (V0) is 0 m/s since the bicyclist was initially stationary before accelerating. Therefore, the equation becomes 3.9 m/s = 0 m/s + 2.0 m/s^2 * t.

Solving for t, we get t = 3.9 m/s / 2.0 m/s^2 = 1.95 seconds. This means it takes the bicyclist 1.95 seconds to catch up to his friend.

Finally, I would double check my answer and consider any potential limitations or assumptions made in solving this problem. For example, we assumed that the bicyclist and his friend are moving in a straight line and that there are no external forces acting on them. Overall, I would present my solution with the appropriate units and any relevant explanations or considerations.

Related to Finding Time, given velocity and acceleration

1. What is the formula for finding time given velocity and acceleration?

The formula for finding time given velocity and acceleration is t = v/a, where t represents time, v represents velocity, and a represents acceleration. This formula is known as the time formula.

2. How is time related to velocity and acceleration?

Time is directly related to velocity and acceleration. In other words, velocity and acceleration are two factors that determine the amount of time it takes for an object to move from one position to another. An increase in velocity or acceleration will result in a decrease in time, while a decrease in velocity or acceleration will result in an increase in time.

3. Can time be negative when finding time given velocity and acceleration?

No, time cannot be negative when using the formula for finding time given velocity and acceleration. Time is always a positive value, as it represents the amount of time it takes for an object to move from one position to another. If you get a negative value when using the formula, it means you have made a mistake in your calculations.

4. What units are used for time, velocity, and acceleration?

Time is typically measured in seconds (s), velocity is measured in meters per second (m/s), and acceleration is measured in meters per second squared (m/s²). However, other units such as miles per hour (mph) or kilometers per hour (km/h) can also be used as long as they are consistent throughout the calculation.

5. Can the formula for finding time given velocity and acceleration be used for all types of motion?

Yes, the formula for finding time given velocity and acceleration can be used for any type of motion, whether it is linear, circular, or curvilinear. However, in some cases, the formula may need to be modified to account for other factors such as initial velocity or displacement.