Finding time in a pulley system

In summary, a 3.2 kg horizontal bar is attached to a vertical spindle with a diameter of 2.0 cm and a length L of 64 cm. A string is wrapped around the spindle and pulled with a force of 15.0 N. The system rotates at an angular speed of 5.5 rad/s when the string unwinds fully and drops from the spindle. The question is asking for the time it takes for the system to come to a stop, which can be determined using the equation Δω=αΔt and the known frictional torque.
Axel7

Homework Statement

A horizontal bar with a mass of 3.2 kg and a length L of 64 cm is rigidly mounted to a vertical spindle of negligible mass such that the two objects spin together. The spindle has a diameter of 2.0 cm, and it is attached to the bar a distance of L /4 from its centre of mass. A string is wrapped around the spindle, and is pulled with a steady force of 15.0 N. The string is wrapped four times around the spindle.
If the system rotates at an angular speed of 5.5 rad/s when the string unwinds fully and drops from from the spindle, after the string has fully unwound, how long does it take for the system to come to a stop?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried using Δω=α Δt but I don't know what α is? I'm pretty lost on what to do.

Physics news on Phys.org
The question implies it will come to a stop. Why would that be, do you think?

I'm assuming there is a frictional torque that would cause it to stop, but I don't know how to use that to determine the time.

Axel7 said:
I'm assuming there is a frictional torque that would cause it to stop, but I don't know how to use that to determine the time.
There is enough information to deduce the frictional torque.

Related to Finding time in a pulley system

1. How does a pulley system save time?

A pulley system saves time by using multiple pulleys to distribute the weight of an object, making it easier to lift or move. This reduces the amount of effort and time needed to perform tasks such as lifting heavy objects or hoisting materials.

2. What are the different types of pulley systems?

There are three main types of pulley systems: fixed, movable, and compound. A fixed pulley has a stationary axle and is used to change the direction of a force. A movable pulley has a movable axle and reduces the amount of effort needed to lift an object. A compound pulley combines fixed and movable pulleys to achieve a mechanical advantage.

3. How does the number of pulleys affect the time in a pulley system?

The more pulleys in a system, the less effort and time are needed to lift or move an object. This is because each additional pulley increases the mechanical advantage, making it easier to overcome the weight of the object.

4. Can a pulley system be used to increase speed?

No, a pulley system is designed to reduce the amount of effort needed to lift or move an object, not to increase speed. In fact, using more pulleys in a system can actually decrease the speed at which an object is lifted or moved.

5. How do I calculate the mechanical advantage of a pulley system?

The mechanical advantage of a pulley system can be calculated by dividing the weight of the object by the force needed to lift it. For example, if an object weighs 100 pounds and it takes 50 pounds of force to lift it with a pulley system, the mechanical advantage would be 2. The more pulleys in the system, the higher the mechanical advantage will be.