Finding Times of Particle Intersections with Equated Vectors

In summary, the two particles meet at t = 0 and t = pi/2w, assuming w is a positive constant. Multiple solutions for t exist, but only two are possible based on the given equations.
jono90one

Homework Statement

Find the times when the two particles meet
r and w are positive constants

Homework Equations

x1(t) = rcos(wt) i + rsin(wt) j
x2(t) = (2/pi) rwt j

The Attempt at a Solution

Now I can get t = 0 quite easily. I can equate :
rcos(wt) = 0 hence wt = pi/2 [1]
rsin(wt) = 2/pi rwt
hence sub in 1
and you get 1=2/pi wt
so basically you get wt = pi/2 again.
So this route is useless (?)

Alternatively, considering x2 forms a right angle with x1 you can do scalar product and you end up with:
r^2 sin(wt) wt = 0
r, w = + ve

So tsinwt = 0
t = 0, sinwt = 0
t = 0 or wt = 0, pi (or multiple) => t=0

But I am still only getting one t, is there only one t? As the question states time"s".

Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
cos x is periodic so there are infinitely many points where cos x =0. Your first attempt was correct, you just didn't find all of the points.

So in simple terms the answer is t = 0 and t = anything?
(Seems like an odd question?)

jono90one said:
So in simple terms the answer is t = 0 and t = anything?
(Seems like an odd question?)

No, t = 0 is not even a solution to cos(wt) = 0. Sketch cos(u) vs u and see if you can write down some values of u where cos u =0. See if you can find a pattern to let you write down all values of u in a formula.

Oh ok, then we're just looking at the x-axis intercepts, which is -3pi/2,-pi/2, pi/2, 3pi/2 (For any range).
There are no restrictions given on the question though :\
wt = ...-3pi/2,-pi/2, pi/2, 3pi/2... (I.e. alternates by pi)

But seeming i don't know w (except for that it is positive), t cannot be found?
Usually with these questions you get simultaneous equations, but not here ><

You can express t in terms of w at least. You also need verify which of these solutions satisfy the equation for the [tex]\hat{j}[/tex] components.

Ohh i see now, so basically
for the j components:
Rsinwt=(2/pi)rwt
r's cancle
sin(wt)=(2/pi) wt
Hence sub in some values for wt, pi/2 and -pi/2 produce pi/2 and -pi/2 respectively. But 3pi/2 or any higher multiple cannot exist as you get
rsinwt = nr where n is greater than one (or less than -1)

Hence we have two solutions:
t=pi/2w
t=-pi/2w

Correct?

That's correct. You could sketch sin(wt) and (2/pi) wt to see why they only intersect in two points.

Related to Finding Times of Particle Intersections with Equated Vectors

1. How do you equate vectors to find time?

To equate vectors to find time, we can use the formula t = d/v, where t represents time, d represents distance, and v represents velocity. We can also use the Pythagorean theorem to find the magnitude of the vector and then use the formula t = |d|/|v|.

2. What is the importance of equating vectors to find time?

Equating vectors to find time is important because it allows us to calculate the time it takes for an object to travel a certain distance at a certain velocity. This is useful in various fields such as physics, engineering, and navigation.

3. Can vectors be equated in any direction to find time?

Yes, vectors can be equated in any direction to find time. However, it is important to make sure that the units used for distance and velocity are consistent.

4. Are there any limitations to equating vectors to find time?

One limitation of equating vectors to find time is that it assumes a constant velocity. In reality, an object's velocity may change over time, which can affect the accuracy of the calculated time. Other factors such as air resistance and friction may also affect the object's motion.

5. How can we apply equating vectors to find time in real-world situations?

Equating vectors to find time can be applied in various real-world situations, such as calculating the travel time for a car, airplane, or spaceship. It can also be used in sports to time the movement of athletes or in navigation to determine the time it takes for a ship or plane to reach a destination.