Finding total mass of hemisphere that has a variable density

In summary, you found that the total mass of a half solid hemisphere is given by x^2 + y^2 + z^2 = a^2, and that z>=0 and having variable density ρ=1+(r^2)z where r is the distance of any point from the origin.
nb89

Homework Statement

Show that total mass of half solid hemisphere radius a given as x^2 + y^2 + z^2 = a^2 and z>=0 and having variable density ρ=1+(r^2)z where r is the distance of any point from the origin is given by: M = (2π(a^3))(6+3(a^3)/18 where M is total mass.

Homework Equations

-

The Attempt at a Solution

My first attempt was to find the volume of the hemisphere using spherical polar coordinates and multiply this volume with the density given. Obviously this was wrong. I then tried integrating again but this time i integrated 1+(x^2 + y^2 + z^2)z
I replaced the r^2 in the density equation with a^2. I still ended up with the wrong answer. Have i applied the right method the second time round and maybe just made a mistake when integrating, or am i approaching this question the wrong way? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
nb89 said:
I replaced the r^2 in the density equation with a^2. I still ended up with the wrong answer.

Of course you ended up with the wrong answer; not every point inside the hemisphere is a distance [itex]a[/itex] from the origin...only the points on the outer shell of the hemisphere are that far away.

Try integrating the density over the volume of the sphere using spherical polar coordinates. What is [itex]z[/itex] in spherical polars?...What are your integration limits for [itex]r[/itex], [itex]\theta[/itex] and [itex]\phi[/itex]? What is the infinitesimal volume element (usually denoted [itex]dV[/itex]) in spherical polars?...

i see! i got the answer, thank you.

I think something is wrong in your solution

My first thoughts:
since m=[itex]\rho[/itex]V

[itex]\Rightarrow[/itex] dm=Vd[itex]\rho[/itex]+[itex]\rho[/itex]dV

but in spherical : dV=r2sin([itex]\theta[/itex])dr d[itex]\theta[/itex] d[itex]\phi[/itex]
and z=r cos([itex]\theta[/itex])
[itex]\Rightarrow[/itex] dz=cos([itex]\theta[/itex]) dr - r sin([itex]\theta[/itex])d[itex]\theta[/itex]

hence, d[itex]\rho[/itex]=2 r z dr + r2 dz and substitute for dz

then substitute again in dm expression and perform the integration from
r: 0[itex]\rightarrow[/itex]a
[itex]\phi[/itex]: 0[itex]\rightarrow[/itex] 2 pi
[itex]\theta[/itex]: 0 [itex]\rightarrow[/itex] pi/2

solve it and tell me about the result :smile:

Last edited:
Maged said:
I think something is wrong in your solution

My first thoughts:
since m=[itex]\rho[/itex]V

[itex]\Rightarrow[/itex] dm=Vd[itex]\rho[/itex]+[itex]\rho[/itex]dV

Huh?!:confused:

[itex]m=\rho V[/itex] is only valid for regions of uniform charge density (in which case [itex]d \rho[/itex] would be zero)

More generally, [tex]m=\int_{\mathcal{V}} \rho(\vec{r})dV[/tex].

gabbagabbahey said:
Huh?!:confused:

[itex]m=\rho V[/itex] is only valid for regions of uniform charge density (in which case [itex]d \rho[/itex] would be zero)

More generally, [tex]m=\int_{\mathcal{V}} \rho(\vec{r})dV[/tex].

you're true ...

so [itex]dm=\rho dV[/itex] only
and the term [itex]Vd\rho[/itex] is wrong ...

Related to Finding total mass of hemisphere that has a variable density

1. What is the formula for finding the total mass of a hemisphere with variable density?

The formula for finding the total mass of a hemisphere with variable density is: M = (2/3) * pi * r^3 * ρ, where M is the mass, r is the radius, and ρ is the density.

2. How do you calculate the density of a hemisphere with variable density?

The density of a hemisphere with variable density can be calculated by dividing the total mass by the volume of the hemisphere. The volume of a hemisphere is (2/3) * pi * r^3, where r is the radius.

3. Can the total mass of a hemisphere with variable density be negative?

No, the total mass of a hemisphere with variable density cannot be negative. Mass is a measure of the amount of matter in an object and cannot have a negative value.

4. How is the radius of a hemisphere with variable density determined?

The radius of a hemisphere with variable density can be determined by measuring the distance from the center of the hemisphere to the edge, or by using the formula r = (3M/4πρ)^1/3, where M is the total mass and ρ is the density.

5. Can the density of a hemisphere with variable density change over time?

Yes, the density of a hemisphere with variable density can change over time. This can occur due to changes in temperature, pressure, or the addition/removal of material within the hemisphere.

Back