Finding trig values given a line

• Thread starter Aaron H.
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Line Trig
The instructor probably meant for you to use the relationship between the given line and the angle in the second quadrant to find the values.In summary, the problem asks to find the trigonometric values of an angle θ in standard position, given that its terminal side lies on a line in quadrant III. The attempted solution involved dropping a line in quadrant II and using the Pythagorean theorem to find the values. The final values for quadrant III were found to be sin θ = -3sqrt(58)/58, cos θ = -7sqrt(58)/58, and tan θ = 3/7. The instructor may have intended for the relationship between the given line and the angle in quadrant II to be used to
Aaron H.

Homework Statement

The terminal side of angle θ in standard position lies on the given line in the given quadrant. Find sin θ, cos θ, and tan θ.

Homework Equations

3x + 7y = 0; quadrant III

The Attempt at a Solution

The line does not go through the third quadrant. The course instructor commented on this problem. I think he said to drop a line in the second quadrant instead, then to treat the sides of the triangle as if the triangle was in the third quadrant. I'm not sure what side lengths to use though and the relationship between the line, second, and third quadrant is not yet clear to me.

Physics news on Phys.org
If I solve for y, I get -3x/7 = y, giving me side lengths 3 and 7 in quadrant II. using Pythagorean theorem, I get sqrt (58) for the hypotenuse.

for quadrant 3:

sin θ = -3sqrt(58)/58
cos θ = -7sqrt(58)/58
tan θ = 3/7

Is this correct?

They look correct to me.
It's a weird question though.

Related to Finding trig values given a line

1. How do I find the reference angle for a given line?

The reference angle can be found by taking the absolute value of the angle and subtracting it from 90 degrees. For example, if the given angle is 150 degrees, the reference angle would be 90 - 150 = 60 degrees.

2. What is the difference between sine, cosine, and tangent?

Sine, cosine, and tangent are all trigonometric functions that relate the angles of a triangle to the lengths of its sides. Sine is the ratio of the opposite side to the hypotenuse, cosine is the ratio of the adjacent side to the hypotenuse, and tangent is the ratio of the opposite side to the adjacent side.

3. How do I determine whether to use sine, cosine, or tangent to find a trig value?

To determine which trig function to use, you need to know which sides of the triangle are known and which side you are trying to find. If you know the opposite and hypotenuse, use sine. If you know the adjacent and hypotenuse, use cosine. If you know the opposite and adjacent, use tangent.

4. How can I use a calculator to find trig values?

Most scientific calculators have buttons labeled "sin", "cos", and "tan" which can be used to find trig values. Make sure your calculator is set to the correct mode (degrees or radians) before inputting the angle. You can also use the inverse functions (sin⁻¹, cos⁻¹, tan⁻¹) to find the angle given the trig value.

5. Can I use trigonometry to find the length of a side in a non-right triangle?

Yes, you can use trigonometry to find the length of a side in a non-right triangle by using the Law of Sines or the Law of Cosines. These laws apply to any triangle, not just right triangles, and can be used to find missing sides or angles.

Back