Finding value in a complex set region

In summary, the largest value of r for which the region represented by the set { ω ε C / |ω - 4 - i| ≤ r} is contained in the region represented by the set { z ε C / |z - 1| ≤ |z + i|}, is equal to 5√2/2. This can be found by graphing the equations for the circle and line, which act as constraints for the possible points. The line equation is y = -x and the circle equation is (x-4)^2 + (y-1)^2 = r^2. By finding the intersection point, the maximum value of r can be determined.
Raghav Gupta

Homework Statement

The largest value of r for which the region represented by the set { ω ε C / |ω - 4 - i| ≤ r}
is contained in the region represented by the set { z ε C / |z - 1| ≤ |z + i|}, is equal to :
√17
2√2
3/2 √2
5/2 √2

Homework Equations

complex number = a + ib where a,b ε R

The Attempt at a Solution

Don't know how to start or what to apply

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi!
Hint: the set |w-4-i| ≤r represents the region inside the circle with its centre (4, 1) and radius r.

Likes Raghav Gupta
Hello Mooncrater
Okay, we know centre of circle as (4,1) and radius r.
Now taking z= x + iy,
we get from question
(x - 1)2 + y2 ≤ x2+ (y+1)2
⇒ -x ≤ y
Now what?

Now each equation(the circle and the line) points out where a point can be.. like a constraint.

Likes Raghav Gupta
So should we differentiate to get max. Value of r?
Is it a minima and maxima problem?

You can do it through graph... it will be very easier then. I think maxima would work if you want it to do it that way...

Is the D option 5√2/2 or 5/2√2?

mooncrater said:
Now each equation(the circle and the line) points out where a point can be.. like a constraint.
What's the line equation?
Is it y = -x ?
And circle equation is (x-4)2 + (y-1)2 = r2 ?
mooncrater said:
Is the D option 5√2/2 or 5/2√2?
The D option is 5√2/2 .

Raghav Gupta said:
What's the line equation?
Is it y = -x ?
And circle equation is (x-4)2 + (y-1)2 = r2 ? .
Yes.

Got it, thanks the D option.

Likes mooncrater

FAQ: Finding value in a complex set region

1. What is the definition of "finding value" in a complex set region?

Finding value in a complex set region refers to the process of identifying and quantifying the significance or usefulness of data or information within a complicated or diverse dataset. This can involve analyzing patterns, trends, and relationships within the data to extract meaningful insights.

2. How do you determine the complexity of a set region?

The complexity of a set region can be determined by the number and variety of factors or variables that are present within the dataset. This can include the number of data points, the range of values, the diversity of data types, and the presence of any outliers or anomalies.

3. What techniques can be used to find value in a complex set region?

There are various techniques that can be used to find value in a complex set region, including statistical analysis, data visualization, machine learning, and data mining. These methods can help to uncover patterns and relationships within the data that may not be apparent at first glance.

4. How can finding value in a complex set region benefit scientific research?

Finding value in a complex set region can provide scientists with valuable insights and knowledge that can inform their research and potentially lead to new discoveries. It can also help to identify gaps in existing knowledge and guide future research efforts.

5. What are some challenges associated with finding value in a complex set region?

Some challenges associated with finding value in a complex set region include dealing with large and diverse datasets, understanding and interpreting complex statistical analyses, and identifying and addressing potential biases or errors in the data. It also requires a combination of technical skills, domain knowledge, and critical thinking abilities.