Finding Vector Components of A and B in Spherical Coordinates

In summary, at first glance, the vector component of B in the direction of A appears to be a scalar, however upon further inspection, it is revealed to be the magnitude of the answer to part a of the homework equation. The vector component of B perpendicular to A can be found by taking the dot product between the unit vector along \vec A and B. Finally, the remaining piece in the x-direction can be found by taking the cross product between \vec B and the unit vector along \vec A.
Tom McCurdy

Homework Statement

I have a vector A and B in spherical coordinates, and I need to find:
  • part a) The vector component of B in the direction of A.
  • part b) The vector component of B perpendicular to A

Homework Equations

dot product
cross product

The Attempt at a Solution

Alright at my first look I saw vector component and I thought of the cross product which yields a vector result, but then I realized that it in no way tells us anything about B in the direction of A. So then dot product came to mind but that yeilds a scaler result. So I am kind of stumped as to where to start.

My only idea for part a was to take (A dot B)/vector A which would yield a vector result.
and I had no idea what to do for part b.

Physics news on Phys.org
What can you say about:
(vector B) minus (your answer to part a) ?

wouldn't you just get vector B pointing the other way

i am not sure what you are hinting at

Draw a picture... and maybe form dot and/or cross products with "(vector B) minus (your answer to part a)".

the thing is I still don't have an answer to a, so its hard for me to know what you mean

A dot B gives you a scalar - and this is the magnitude of the answer that you want in (a). But the direction is simply that of vector A. So, you can construct the vector component by simply multiplying this scalar by the unit vector along A.

As suggested by robphy, draw a diagram...everything will fall into place.

Tom McCurdy said:
the thing is I still don't have an answer to a, so its hard for me to know what you mean

I thought you had part a... or something close to it.
To make life easier, work with the unit vector along [tex]\vec A[/tex], namely [tex]\hat A = \frac{1}{A}\vec A[/tex].

As a simpler example, consider [tex]\hat A=\hat x[/tex].
How would you find the vector component of [tex]\vec B[/tex] along the x-direction?
What can be said about the "remaining piece" in terms of the x-direction?

FAQ: Finding Vector Components of A and B in Spherical Coordinates

What are spherical coordinates?

Spherical coordinates are a system of coordinates used to locate points in three-dimensional space. They consist of a radius, an angle measured relative to the positive z-axis, and an angle measured in the x-y plane from the positive x-axis.

How do I find the vector components of A and B in spherical coordinates?

To find the vector components of A and B in spherical coordinates, you will first need to convert the coordinates from spherical to Cartesian using the following equations:

x = r sinθ cosϕ

y = r sinθ sinϕ

z = r cosθ

Once you have the Cartesian coordinates, you can then find the vector components by taking the x, y, and z values as the components along the respective axes.

Why do I need to use spherical coordinates?

Spherical coordinates are useful for describing points in three-dimensional space that are located based on a distance and two angles. They are often used in physics and engineering, particularly when dealing with spherical objects or systems.

What is the relationship between spherical and Cartesian coordinates?

Spherical and Cartesian coordinates are two different systems used to locate points in three-dimensional space. The relationship between the two is that Cartesian coordinates are a rectangular system, while spherical coordinates are a polar system. This means that while Cartesian coordinates use x, y, and z axes, spherical coordinates use a radius, an angle relative to the z-axis, and an angle in the x-y plane.

Can I convert back from spherical to Cartesian coordinates?

Yes, you can convert back from spherical to Cartesian coordinates by using the following equations:

x = r sinθ cosϕ

y = r sinθ sinϕ

z = r cosθ

These equations will give you the x, y, and z values for the point in Cartesian coordinates.

Back