Finding velocity of car in Carnival ride

In summary: Yes, the diagram is similar to the attached figure. The length of the hypotenuse of the triangle is a*root3.
chicagobears34

Homework Statement

You've taken your neighbor's young child to the carnival to ride the rides. She wants to ride The Rocket. Eight rocket-shaped cars hang by chains from the outside edge of a large steel disk. A vertical axle through the center of the ride turns the disk, causing the cars to revolve in a circle. You've just finished taking physics, so you decide to figure out the speed of the cars while you wait. You estimate that the disk is 6m in diameter and the chains are 6m long. The ride takes 10s to reach full speed, then the cars swing out until the chains are 30degrees from vertical.

Homework Equations

Fc=m(v^2)/r
w=mg

The Attempt at a Solution

I summed the Forces in the Y direction, so 0=Ft*cos30 -mg
Ft being the tension force on the cable of the car
Ft=mg/cos30
2nd equation: Ft*sin30 -Fc
Fc=Ft*sin30
sub in mv^2/r for Fc
solved for v and i got v=sqrt(r*g*tan30)
i plugged in the radius of the disk which is 3m and gravity which is 9.81m/s^2
v=4.122m/s^2, but that was wrong
What am I doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
The radius of the cars circle is not the same as the disc radius.

chicagobears34 said:
solved for v and i got v=sqrt(r*g*tan30)
i plugged in the radius of the disk which is 3m and gravity which is 9.81m/s^2

Careful. Are you sure r is the radius of the disk?

if I do radius as 9m then I get 7.14m/s as the velocity, which is wrong also

You are not calculating the radius correctly. Recheck your geometry and trig for the swing angle

PhanthomJay said:
You are not calculating the radius correctly. Recheck your geometry and trig for the swing angle

ok how would I go about calculating it properly, I have no idea

Draw a side view of the disk. Draw the car hanging vertically (before the ride starts). On the same figure draw the car hanging from the same point at 30 degrees from the vertical (after the ride starts). Draw a line representing the radius of the circle that the car is traveling in. Can you see how to determine the value of the radius?

well doesn't it make a 30 60 90 triangle?
so the radius would be 3+(2*9/root3)?

chicagobears34 said:
well doesn't it make a 30 60 90 triangle?
Yes.
so the radius would be 3+(2*9/root3)?
The expression in the parentheses is incorrect. Which side of the 30 60 90 triangle represents the additional amount you need to add to the 3 m radius of the disk? What is the length of the hypotenuse of the triangle?

the hypotenuse would be the length i need to add by 3. so it should be 3+(2*6/root3)
because the side opposite of the 60 degree angle is a*root3 and the hypotenuse is 2a.

Is your diagram similar to the attached figure? If so, what is the length of the hypotenuse of the triangle a b c?

Attachments

• Rotating Ride.jpg
    Rotating Ride.jpg
    5.8 KB · Views: 601

Related to Finding velocity of car in Carnival ride

1. How is velocity calculated in a carnival ride?

Velocity is calculated by dividing the distance traveled by the time it takes to travel that distance. In a carnival ride, the distance traveled is the length of the track or distance between two points, and the time is the duration of the ride.

2. Is there a difference between velocity and speed in a carnival ride?

Yes, there is a difference between velocity and speed. Velocity is a vector quantity that takes into account the direction of motion, while speed is a scalar quantity that only considers the magnitude of motion. In a carnival ride, the velocity would include the direction of the car's movement, while the speed would only measure how fast the car is moving.

3. How does the velocity of a carnival ride affect the experience of the riders?

The velocity of a carnival ride can greatly impact the experience of riders. Higher velocities can create more intense and thrilling experiences, while slower velocities may be more suitable for younger or more sensitive riders. Additionally, changes in velocity, such as sudden stops or accelerations, can also add to the overall experience.

4. Can the velocity of a carnival ride be controlled?

Yes, the velocity of a carnival ride can be controlled. Most carnival rides have mechanisms, such as brakes or motors, that can adjust the speed and direction of the ride. Ride operators also play a crucial role in controlling the velocity and ensuring the safety of riders.

5. How do factors such as friction and air resistance affect the velocity of a carnival ride?

Factors such as friction and air resistance can impact the velocity of a carnival ride. Friction from the track or wheels can slow down the car and decrease its velocity. Similarly, air resistance can also create drag and reduce the velocity of the ride. Ride designers and engineers take these factors into account when designing and building carnival rides to ensure safe and enjoyable experiences for riders.