Finding velocity of gas molecule

In summary, equation 1 states that the volume of a gas is proportional to the pressure applied to it and equation 3 states that the mass of one mole of gas is equal to the RT divided by the NA. Equation 2 says that the pressure of a gas is inversely proportional to the volume of the gas. Equation 1 also states that the pressure of a gas is inversely proportional to the ambient temperature. Equation 3 states that the mass of one mole of gas is equal to the RT divided by the NA. Lastly, equation 2 states that the pressure of a gas is inversely proportional to the volume of the gas.
Miike012
Equations:
1. vrms = √(3RT/M)
2. PV = nRT
3.M = mNA

I want to answer part a.
I am given T,P, and the density of gas molecules (d).

From equation 3. I want to solve for m.
m = dV = d(nRT/P)
m[NA] = M = d(nRT/P)[NA] = dNRT/P; N = nNA.

From equation 1.
vrms = √(3RTP/(dNRT)) = √(3P/dN).
I get stuck at this part because I don't know the value of N.

Attachments

• 24.jpg
    24.jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 428
Physics news on Phys.org
Miike012 said:
M = mNA

What is that equation?

DrClaude said:
What is that equation?

Is M molar mass or mass?
I thought it was molar mass...

Miike012 said:
Is M molar mass or mass?
I thought it was molar mass...
I'm asking you! The equation doesn't make sense to me. I think it is wrong and that this is where your problem lies.

Please detail what are M, m and NA.

DrClaude said:

I'm asking you! The equation doesn't make sense to me. I think it is wrong and that this is where your problem lies.

Please detail what are M, m and NA.

I added the equations in the attachment from the book

Attachments

• eq.jpg
    eq.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 428
I think I figured it out. M=mNa and m = M/Na = d*v, so M = d*v*Na

Miike012 said:
I think I figured it out. M=mNa and m = M/Na = d*v, so M = d*v*Na

If ##m## is the mass of one molecule, then how can ##m = d \times V##?

DrClaude said:
If ##m## is the mass of one molecule, then how can ##m = d \times V##?

Well it could be the integral of a single mass through volume V. But I am not sure. Do you have a suggestion?

And it didn't work because the variable V from equation 2 contains the value n which is unkown

What about ##M_\mathrm{sam}##?

DrClaude said:
What about ##M_\mathrm{sam}##?

Msam = M*n

And M = dRT/P

Thank you!

I am now solving for M for part b.

M = 3RT/(Vrms)2

The units of this RHS is Joul/(mol*Kelvin)*Kelvin/(meter/second)2 = Joul*Second2/(mol*meter2)

The LHS has units of

kilograms/mole.

How does the RHS turn into kilograms/mole?

I didn't understand ##M = m N_\mathrm{A}## because you had written ##m = d \times V##, so I had taken ##m## to be the total mass of the gas. Using the notation of the book, ##m## is the mass of one molecule and ##M_\mathrm{sam}## the total mass of the gas, therefore the correct relation is ##M_\mathrm{sam} = d \times V##, which I guess is what you now have figured out, which you used along with ##n = M_\mathrm{sam} / M##.

Miike012 said:
I am now solving for M for part b.

M = 3RT/(Vrms)2

The units of this RHS is Joul/(mol*Kelvin)*Kelvin/(meter/second)2 = Joul*Second2/(mol*meter2)

The LHS has units of

kilograms/mole.

How does the RHS turn into kilograms/mole?

Go back to the definition of the joule in terms of base units:

J = kg m2 s-2

DrClaude said:
I didn't understand ##M = m N_\mathrm{A}## because you had written ##m = d \times V##, so I had taken ##m## to be the total mass of the gas. Using the notation of the book, ##m## is the mass of one molecule and ##M_\mathrm{sam}## the total mass of the gas, therefore the correct relation is ##M_\mathrm{sam} = d \times V##, which I guess is what you now have figured out, which you used along with ##n = M_\mathrm{sam} / M##.

Go back to the definition of the joule in terms of base units:

J = kg m2 s-2

Thank you for all your help.

Related to Finding velocity of gas molecule

1. How do you find the velocity of a gas molecule?

To find the velocity of a gas molecule, you can use the formula v = √(3RT/M), where v is the velocity, R is the gas constant, T is the temperature in Kelvin, and M is the molar mass of the gas molecule.

2. What factors affect the velocity of a gas molecule?

The velocity of a gas molecule is affected by temperature, molar mass, and the presence of other molecules. Higher temperatures and lower molar masses will result in higher velocities, while the presence of other molecules may slow down the gas molecule's velocity due to collisions.

3. Can the velocity of a gas molecule be negative?

No, the velocity of a gas molecule cannot be negative. Since velocity is a vector quantity, it has both magnitude and direction. The direction of gas molecules is random, but their velocity will always have a positive magnitude.

4. How does the velocity of a gas molecule relate to its kinetic energy?

The velocity of a gas molecule is directly proportional to its kinetic energy. This means that as the velocity increases, so does the kinetic energy. This relationship is described by the kinetic theory of gases, which states that the average kinetic energy of gas molecules is directly proportional to the temperature of the gas.

5. Can the velocity of a gas molecule be measured directly?

Yes, the velocity of a gas molecule can be measured directly using specialized equipment such as a gas velocity sensor. This instrument uses principles of fluid dynamics to measure the velocity of gas molecules in a given volume. However, due to the high velocities of gas molecules, indirect methods are often used to calculate their velocity instead.