Finding Velocity on a Position/Time Graph

In summary, the conversation is about finding velocity on a straight line position/time graph. The person is using the equation Vf-Vi/Tf-ti to calculate velocity, but is getting different answers. They are also confused about the slope of the line and are looking for clarification.
5pirit
Hey everyone, I'm having trouble finding velocity on a straight line position/time graph. Every single equation I do ends up with a different answer, which doesn't make sense because it's a straight line.

I know the equation is

Vf-Vi/Tf-ti

The answer to this question is 1.4m/s N

Example:

45-25/28-16= 1.666666m/s Wrong answer. I'm just taking these from the graph by the way.

25-20/16-14= 2.5, completely different answer.

Could someone please explain what I'm doing wrong? I'm calculating the slope which seems to change with every calculation that I do, which I understand is wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
Try to post the graph so we can see it. Also, if your v is velocity, you are dividing a velocity change by an elapsed time. That gives acceleration. If you want velocity, divide displacement by time.

5pirit said:
Hey everyone, I'm having trouble finding velocity on a straight line position/time graph. Every single equation I do ends up with a different answer, which doesn't make sense because it's a straight line.

I know the equation is

Vf-Vi/Tf-ti

The answer to this question is 1.4m/s N

Example:

45-25/28-16= 1.666666m/s Wrong answer. I'm just taking these from the graph by the way.

25-20/16-14= 2.5, completely different answer.

Could someone please explain what I'm doing wrong? I'm calculating the slope which seems to change with every calculation that I do, which I understand is wrong.
Hello 5pirit. Welcome to PF !

What is the slope of that line?

Related to Finding Velocity on a Position/Time Graph

1. How do you find the velocity on a position/time graph?

The velocity on a position/time graph can be found by calculating the slope of the line at a specific point. This can be done by finding the change in position (y-axis) over the change in time (x-axis) at that point.

2. What is the difference between average velocity and instantaneous velocity?

Average velocity is the overall rate of change of position over a specific period of time, while instantaneous velocity is the velocity at a specific moment in time. Average velocity is represented by the slope of a line connecting two points on a position/time graph, while instantaneous velocity is represented by the slope of the tangent line at a specific point on the graph.

3. How do you calculate the slope of a line on a position/time graph?

The slope of a line on a position/time graph can be calculated by dividing the change in position (y-axis) by the change in time (x-axis) between two points on the line. This can be represented by the formula: slope = (y2 - y1) / (x2 - x1).

4. What does a horizontal line on a position/time graph represent?

A horizontal line on a position/time graph represents an object at rest, with a velocity of 0. This means that there is no change in position over time, and the object is not moving.

5. Can the velocity of an object be negative on a position/time graph?

Yes, the velocity of an object can be negative on a position/time graph. This would indicate that the object is moving in the opposite direction of the positive direction on the graph. For example, a negative velocity on a position/time graph could represent an object moving backwards.