Finding Vertex B in a Triangle Given Coordinates and Orthocentre

• Thread starter utkarshakash
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Geometry
In summary, the question asks for the coordinates of vertex B in a given triangle ABC, with vertex A at (1,1) and orthocentre at (2,4). The sides AB and BC are part of a family of lines with equations ax+by+c=0, where a,b,c are in arithmetic progression. To find vertex B, one can use the equations of the lines AB and BC and the fact that a,b,c are in arithmetic progression to solve for the coordinates of B. This can be done by setting up a system of equations and using the properties of a point lying on a line.
utkarshakash
Gold Member

Homework Statement

A triangle ABC is given where vertex A is (1,1) and the orthocentre is (2,4). Also sides AB and BC are members of the family of lines ax+by+c=0 where a,b,c are in Arithmetic Progression.

Find vertex B.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I can write the equation of AO (O being orthocentre). But I need to somehow get vertex B and I think I need to have some more equations to do that. Can someone explain me how to apply the second hint given in the question?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
utkarshakash said:

Homework Statement

A triangle ABC is given where vertex A is (1,1) and the orthocentre is (2,4). Also sides AB and BC are members of the family of lines ax+by+c=0 where a,b,c are in A.P.

Find vertex B.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I can write the equation of AO (O being orthocentre). But I need to somehow get vertex B and I think I need to have some more equations to do that. Can someone explain me how to apply the second hint given in the question?

I haven't solved the question but this should give you some idea. You can find the equation of line for BC (which is perpendicular to AO) using the fact that a,b,c are in A.P. Assume that vertex B is (e,f). This point satisfies the line BC and you get a relation between e and f. Now find the line AB and again use the fact that a,b and c are in A.P.

PS: You should define what A.P means here. I take it as arithmetic progression but not everyone here uses the abbreviation A.P for arithmetic progression. :)

Related to Finding Vertex B in a Triangle Given Coordinates and Orthocentre

1. What is co-ordinate geometry?

Co-ordinate geometry is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of geometric figures using a system of coordinates. It involves the use of algebraic equations and geometrical concepts to solve problems related to points, lines, and curves on a plane.

2. How do you plot points on a co-ordinate plane?

To plot points on a co-ordinate plane, you need to have two numbers, known as the x-coordinate and y-coordinate. The x-coordinate represents the horizontal position of a point, while the y-coordinate represents the vertical position. To plot a point, you simply locate its x-coordinate on the x-axis and its y-coordinate on the y-axis, then draw a dot at the intersection of the two values.

3. What is the distance formula in co-ordinate geometry?

The distance formula in co-ordinate geometry is used to find the distance between two points on a plane. It is given as:
d = √[(x2-x1)^2 + (y2-y1)^2]
Where (x1, y1) and (x2, y2) are the coordinates of the two points. This formula is derived from the Pythagorean Theorem.

4. How do you find the slope of a line in co-ordinate geometry?

The slope of a line in co-ordinate geometry is a measure of its steepness. It is given as:
m = (y2-y1)/(x2-x1)
Where (x1, y1) and (x2, y2) are any two points on the line. This formula is also known as the "rise over run" formula because it represents the change in y-values divided by the change in x-values on the line.

5. What are the different types of lines in co-ordinate geometry?

There are three main types of lines in co-ordinate geometry:
1. Parallel lines - lines that never intersect and have the same slope
2. Perpendicular lines - lines that intersect at a right angle and have slopes that are negative reciprocals of each other
3. Intersecting lines - lines that intersect at a single point and have different slopes

Back