Finding vertical displacement in terms of a function of two heights.

In summary, two basketball players of equal height are jumping to raise their centers of mass the same distance "H". Player A needs to shoot above player B and jumps at t=0, while player B jumps at time t(sub R) his reaction time. The vertical displacement D(t) =hA(t) - hB(t) is needed, where hA(t) is the height of A with raised hands and hB(t) is the height of B with raised hands. The maximum height for both players is H, with initial velocity of 0 and acceleration of gravity. After struggling for hours, the solution was found by using the equations x = x0 +v0t+1/2 gt2 and its derivative to
thepatient
So I've been stuck on this problem for hours, I just can't seem to put the pieces together...

Homework Statement

Two basketball players of equal height, (and jumping with same initial velocity, etc.) by jumping they raise their centers of mass the same distance "H". The first player (A) wishes to shoot over the second player (B), for this she needs to be as high above B as possible. A jumps at t=0. B jumps at time t(sub R) his reaction time. Assuming that A doesn't reach maximum height when B jumps.

Find the vertical displacement D(t) =hA(t) - hB(t), while hA(t) is the height of A with raised hands and hB(t) is the height of B with raised hands.

ymax: H
y0=0
a= g

Homework Equations

I used equations:
x = x0 +v0t+1/2 gt2

and the derivative of that to find the initial velocity.

The Attempt at a Solution

So after thinking for hours and pondering if my approach to the problem was making sense or not, I first tried to get the function of H(t) for player A. I assumed that I would need an initial velocity, so I used the velocity at the max height (which is obviously zero) to calculate it.

vya=v0a+gt
0 = v0a+gt
v0a=-gt

So I assumed that was the velocity the instant A jumps.

Then to find the function of the height for A, I used y = y0 +v0t+1/2 gt2

Since A begins the jump at y = 0, I assumed the function will be the difference between the max height H and the distance in terms of t. Ha(t) = H -(y0+v0(t) +1/2 gt2 and ended up with the function of H for a in terms of time is H +1/2 gt2. But then after thinking of it it doesn't make sense.

So yes I'm horribly confused, I did great on all the questions in my mastering physics homework, but all the questions that have you figure a height out or a function like this one (which are like three that I have) are so confusing and so hard to put into a formula...And it makes me sad, because I'm usually very good in math, but physics is a whole different type of beast. Thanks in advance guys..

Physics news on Phys.org
Nevermind... I got it... took me an additional 3 hours... Got an overall score of 92% in my mastering physics assignment... A lot of people in class were having so much trouble in it.

Related to Finding vertical displacement in terms of a function of two heights.

What is vertical displacement?

Vertical displacement is the difference in height between two points, typically measured in the vertical direction.

How do you find vertical displacement?

Vertical displacement can be found by subtracting the initial height from the final height. This will give you the difference in height between the two points.

What is a function of two heights?

A function of two heights is a mathematical relationship between two heights. It describes how the vertical displacement changes as the two heights change.

How do you express vertical displacement in terms of a function of two heights?

To express vertical displacement in terms of a function of two heights, you would use a mathematical equation that relates the two heights. This equation would typically include variables to represent the initial and final heights.

Can vertical displacement be negative?

Yes, vertical displacement can be negative. This means that the final height is lower than the initial height. It is important to pay attention to the sign of the vertical displacement when interpreting the results.

Back