Finding voltage across elements in phasor diagram,

In summary, the conversation is about finding voltage across elements in a phasor diagram. The question involves finding the voltage across a capacitor and the answer is given as v(t)= 5cos(2t-112). The person is struggling with part b and has attempted to find the current and voltage, but is unsure if it is correct. They mention that the clue is to consider the RMS value (root mean square) vs. peak value.
checkedcherry
Finding voltage across elements in phasor diagram, URGENT!

Hi there, first time posting here, just caught up on a question with no worked solutions and it's driving me crazy!

I've attached the question below,and the answer to b is v(t)= 5cos(2t-112).
I can do part a but am struggling on part b nothing I try seems to come up with 112 degrees :(

Anyway, here's my (very poor) attempt:

I found the current to be
1.386 < -56.5 degrees i.e 1.386 cos (2t-56.5)

and then tried to find voltage across the capacitor using V=IZ to get 4.14cos(2t+33.5)
which didn't seem right...so can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• phasor.png
    phasor.png
    7.2 KB · Views: 467
Physics news on Phys.org

Clue: RMS value (root mean square) vs. peak value...

1.386 < -56.5 degrees ≠ 1.386 cos (2t-56.5)

Related to Finding voltage across elements in phasor diagram,

1. What is a phasor diagram?

A phasor diagram is a graphical representation of the voltage and current in a circuit that varies with time. It is used to analyze the behavior of AC circuits.

2. How do I find the voltage across elements in a phasor diagram?

To find the voltage across elements in a phasor diagram, you need to use the phasor addition method. This involves adding the individual phasors (vectors) representing the voltage of each element in the circuit, taking into account their phase differences.

3. What is the purpose of finding voltage across elements in a phasor diagram?

The purpose of finding voltage across elements in a phasor diagram is to understand the behavior of AC circuits, specifically the relationship between voltage and current. This can help in analyzing and designing circuits for various applications.

4. Can I use a phasor diagram for DC circuits?

No, a phasor diagram is specifically used for AC circuits. In DC circuits, the voltage and current do not vary with time, so there is no need to use phasors to represent them.

5. Are there any limitations to using phasor diagrams?

One limitation of using phasor diagrams is that they only represent the steady-state behavior of AC circuits. They do not show the transient behavior, which is important in some applications. Additionally, phasor diagrams assume linear circuit elements and do not account for non-linear behavior.