Finding Voltage and Resistance in a Series Circuit

In summary, to find the voltage at the end of a series of resistors, you can use the equation V = IR, where V is the voltage, I is the current, and R is the resistance. In a series circuit, the same current flows through all components, so you can use the initial voltage and total resistance to calculate the current. Then, by measuring the voltage drop across the resistor in question and dividing it by the calculated current, you can find the resistance at that point in the circuit.
tamz273

Homework Statement

I need to find the VOLTAGE at the end of a series of resistors, where the initial voltage is 15V

Homework Equations

R = R1+R2+R3
I = V/R

The Attempt at a Solution

Total resistance = 100.05Kohm (R1+R2+R3)
I @ Va = 15/100.05 = 14.9mA

Now I don't know how to find the RESISTANCE at the end of the circuit (point Va)

Any help? I am not HORRIBLE with circuits, but isn't voltage static in a series circuit? and current changes? So shouldn't the Voltage be the same at the beginning and end of the series of resistors?! :S

Physics news on Phys.org
Actually, in a series circuit, all components carry the same current.

so how would i calculate the voltage at a certain point in the circuit?

tamz273 said:

Homework Statement

I need to find the VOLTAGE at the end of a series of resistors, where the initial voltage is 15V

Homework Equations

R = R1+R2+R3
I = V/R

The Attempt at a Solution

Total resistance = 100.05Kohm (R1+R2+R3)
I @ Va = 15/100.05 = 14.9mA

Now I don't know how to find the RESISTANCE at the end of the circuit (point Va)

Any help? I am not HORRIBLE with circuits, but isn't voltage static in a series circuit? and current changes? So shouldn't the Voltage be the same at the beginning and end of the series of resistors?! :S

15 volts / 100.05 ohms = .1499 amperes (which is 149.9 mA)

Since you know the current (correct current is .1499 amperes) flowing through ALL the series resistors, merely measuring the voltage drop across the resistor in question, then divide that voltage drop by your current of .1499 amperes and it will yield the resistance value of that resistor in ohms.

Related to Finding Voltage and Resistance in a Series Circuit

What is a series circuit?

A series circuit is a type of electrical circuit in which the components are connected in a single loop, with the current flowing through each component in sequence. This means that the same current flows through each component, and the voltage is divided among the components.

What is voltage in a series circuit?

Voltage in a series circuit refers to the potential difference between two points in the circuit. It is the force that drives the current through the circuit and is measured in volts. In a series circuit, the total voltage across all components is equal to the sum of the individual voltages.

How is voltage calculated in a series circuit?

To calculate the voltage in a series circuit, you can use Ohm's Law, which states that voltage is equal to current multiplied by resistance (V=IR). This means that if you know the current flowing through the circuit and the resistance of each component, you can calculate the voltage across each component and the total voltage in the circuit.

What happens to voltage in a series circuit?

In a series circuit, the voltage is divided among the components. This means that as the current flows through each component, the voltage decreases. However, the total voltage across all components remains constant. This is known as the voltage drop in a series circuit.

What is the effect of adding more components in series to a circuit?

Adding more components in series to a circuit increases the overall resistance, which decreases the current flowing through the circuit. This in turn decreases the voltage across each component, as the total voltage remains constant. Therefore, adding more components in series can reduce the voltage and power in a circuit while increasing the overall resistance.