Finding volume given by curves using integral

In summary, the process for finding the area of a region enclosed by curves involves determining whether to integrate with respect to x or y, finding the appropriate functions and bounds, and solving for the area using the anti-derivative. In this specific example, the lower bound for y was incorrectly estimated, leading to an incorrect answer initially. By finding the intersection point of the given curves, the correct lower bound was determined and the problem was successfully solved.
Moonstar

Homework Statement

Sketch the region enclosed by the given curves. Decide whether to integrate with respect to x or y. Then find the area of the region.
2y=5 sqrt(x), y=3 and 2y+4x=9

Homework Equations

Integral of right function - left function if integrating with respect to y
F(b)-F(a)

The Attempt at a Solution

I decided to integrate with respect to y since after I got the graph, the area is kind of split up into two different parts if you decide to do it with respect x. So if I do it with respect to y the right function would be 2y=5 sqrt(x) and to make it with respect to y it would be (4/5)y^2. The left function is 2y+4x=9 or with respect to y it would be -(2y-9)/4.

To find the bounds I found where the line y=3 intersected with 2y=5 sqrt(x) and where 2y=5 sqrt(x) intersected with 2y+4x=9. I found my "y bounds" to be 2 to 3.So I plug everything in.

Integral from 2 to 3 of: (4/25)*y^2 - [(-2y-9)/4]
So then I took the anti-derivative and got

4/75y^3 - 1/4y^2 + 9/4y

Then I plugged 3 into the above equation to get my F(b) and then plugged in 2 into the equation to get my F(a). I did F(b)-F(a)

(4/75*(3)^3+1/4*(3)^2+9/4*(3)) - (4/75*(2)^3+1/4*(2)^2+9/4*(2)) = 4.513333

... which is not the answer :( Can someone please help me? I'm sorry if this is hard to read, I tried using the symbols but it kept messing everything up; I'm new to this forum and I don't really know how to use the symbols.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you got the lower bound of y wrong. Check your algebra. Hint: It might be easier to find the value of x that satisfies 2y=5sqrt (x) and 2y+4x=9, then plug x into the equation to get the y-value.

You're right, the lower bound was my problem... I think I estimated it on a graph instead of actually getting the correct decimals and the online homework I am doing is very specific with answers. Thank you, I have completed this problem finally :) Now on to more...

FAQ: Finding volume given by curves using integral

1. What is the definition of volume given by curves using integral?

The volume given by curves using integral is a method of finding the volume of a three-dimensional shape or object by using calculus and the concept of integration. It involves breaking down the shape into infinitesimally small pieces, calculating the volume of each piece, and then adding them together to get the total volume.

2. How is the integral used to find volume given by curves?

The integral is used to find volume given by curves by calculating the area under a curve on a graph in the x-y plane. This area represents the cross-sectional area of the shape, and by integrating this area along the entire length of the shape, the total volume can be determined.

3. Are there different methods for finding volume given by curves using integral?

Yes, there are different methods for finding volume given by curves using integral, depending on the shape of the object. Some common methods include using the disk method, the shell method, and the washer method.

4. What are the limitations of using the integral to find volume given by curves?

One limitation of using the integral to find volume given by curves is that it can only be used for objects with smooth, continuous curves. It cannot be used for objects with sharp edges or corners. Additionally, the integral method may not be suitable for complex shapes that cannot be easily broken down into smaller, simpler sections.

5. Can the volume be negative when using the integral to find volume given by curves?

No, the volume cannot be negative when using the integral to find volume given by curves. The integral takes into account the direction of the curve, so any negative values will be cancelled out when integrating the entire shape. Therefore, the volume will always be a positive value.

Back