Finding Volume Limits and Integration for Paraboloid of Revolution

In summary, the conversation is discussing the volume of a bullet-shaped solid formed by revolving a parabola around the y-axis. By using the disk method, the volume is found to be half the volume of the circumscribing cylinder. The conversation also touches on finding the limits of integration and using a relationship between x and y to simplify the equation. Ultimately, the volume is found to be the volume of a cylinder over 2.
elitespart
Volumes: The Disk Method [Resolved]

1. If the area bounded by the parabola y = H - (H/R[tex]^{2}[/tex])x[tex]^{2}[/tex] and the x-axis is revolved about the y-axis, the resulting bullet-shaped solid is a segment of a paraboloid of revolition with height H and radius of base R. Show its volume is half the volume of the circumscribing cylinder

Okay so the thickness of the disk is dy and the area is [tex]\pi[/tex]x[tex]^{2}[/tex]. How do I find the limits of intergration and put x in terms of H and R? Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your disks run from y = 0 to y = H.
The incremental volume of each disk is [tex]\pi x^2 \Delta y[/tex]. For any point (x, y) on the parabola, you have a relationship between x and y, so use this relationship to replace x^2.

So x^2 = y-H(-R^2/H) and then run that from 0 to H?

anybody?

elitespart said:
So x^2 = y-H(-R^2/H) and then run that from 0 to H?

sounds good, what do you get when you integrate that?

I feel like an idiot but I'm having trouble integrating this. Can someone get me started on it? Thanks.

[tex]\int_0^H \pi x^2 dy= \int_0^H \pi (y-H)(\frac{-R^2}{H}) dy =\frac{\pi R^2}{H} \int_0^H (H-y)dy[/tex]

...surely, you know how to integrate this?

wooow. there's something wrong with me. So I ended up with the volume of a cylinder over 2. Which is exactly what I needed. Thank you very much.

Related to Finding Volume Limits and Integration for Paraboloid of Revolution

What is the disk method?

The disk method is a mathematical technique used to find the volume of a solid of revolution by rotating a two-dimensional shape around an axis to create a three-dimensional object.

How do you find the volume using the disk method?

To find the volume using the disk method, you need to integrate the cross-sectional area of the shape as it is rotated around the axis. This can be done by using the formula V = π∫a^2 b^2 f(x)^2 dx, where a and b are the limits of integration and f(x) is the function representing the shape's cross-sectional area.

Can the disk method be used for any shape?

No, the disk method can only be used for shapes that have a circular cross-section, such as circles, semicircles, and rings.

What is the difference between the disk method and the shell method?

The disk method and the shell method are both techniques used to find the volume of a solid of revolution, but they use different cross-sectional shapes. The disk method uses circular shapes, while the shell method uses cylindrical shapes.

What are some real-world applications of the disk method?

The disk method can be used in various fields such as engineering, physics, and architecture to calculate the volume of objects with circular cross-sections, such as pipes, cylinders, and tanks.