Finding volume using cross sections

In summary, we need to find the volume of a solid with a base in the region bounded by y^2=9x and x=1. Each cross section perpendicular to the x-axis is an isosceles right triangle with its hypotenuse in the xy-plane. To solve this, we first solve for y and get y=3sqrt(x) and y=-3sqrt(x). Then, we find the length of the hypotenuse to be 6sqrt(x). We also know that the base of each triangle is 3√x. Using the formula for the area of an isosceles right triangle, we get an area of 9x. Integrating this from 0 to 1,
miglo

Homework Statement

find the volume of the solid whose base is the region bounded by y^2=9x and x=1 in the xy-plane. each cross section perpendicular to the x-axis is an isosceles right triangle with its hypotenuse in the xy-plane.

Homework Equations

[tex]V=\int_{a}^{b}A(x)dx[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

well first i solved for y and got y=3sqrt(x) and y=-3sqrt(x), then i figured out the length of the hypotenuse to be 3sqrt(x)-(-3sqrt(x))=6sqrt(x)
but the formula for the area of an isosceles right triangle is 1/2a^2 where a is one of the triangles legs. how do i figure out the length of one of the legs?

Physics news on Phys.org
miglo said:

Homework Statement

find the volume of the solid whose base is the region bounded by y^2=9x and x=1 in the xy-plane. each cross section perpendicular to the x-axis is an isosceles right triangle with its hypotenuse in the xy-plane.

Homework Equations

[tex]V=\int_{a}^{b}A(x)dx[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

well first i solved for y and got y=3sqrt(x) and y=-3sqrt(x), then i figured out the length of the hypotenuse to be 3sqrt(x)-(-3sqrt(x))=6sqrt(x)
but the formula for the area of an isosceles right triangle is 1/2a^2 where a is one of the triangles legs. how do i figure out the length of one of the legs?

I hope you have drawn sketches of everything, especially the triangles. The base of each triangle is 2y = 6√x. Each triangle is made up of two isosceles right triangles. The base of each is y = 3√x. Is that enough to get you started?

yeah got it, thanks!

just a quick question to check if i got the right answer, the area will then be 1/2(3sqrt(2x))^2=1/2*9*2x=9x
and integrating i get a volume of 9/2 since my limits will be from 0 to 1?

Related to Finding volume using cross sections

What is the concept of "Finding volume using cross sections"?

The concept of finding volume using cross sections is a mathematical method used to calculate the volume of an object by dividing it into smaller, known shapes and then adding up their volumes.

Why is finding volume using cross sections important in science?

Finding volume using cross sections is important in science because it allows scientists to calculate the volume of complex objects that cannot be measured directly. This is especially useful in fields such as physics, engineering, and chemistry.

What are the steps involved in finding volume using cross sections?

The steps involved in finding volume using cross sections include: 1) dividing the object into smaller, known shapes, 2) calculating the area of each cross section, 3) multiplying the area by the thickness of the cross section to find the volume of each section, and 4) adding up the volumes of all the sections to find the total volume of the object.

Can finding volume using cross sections be used for any shape?

Yes, finding volume using cross sections can be used for any shape, as long as the shape can be divided into smaller, known shapes. This method is particularly useful for irregular or complex shapes.

Are there any limitations to finding volume using cross sections?

One limitation of finding volume using cross sections is that it may not be accurate if the cross sections used are not small enough, or if the object is not divided into enough sections. It also assumes that the object is uniform throughout, which may not always be the case.