Finding volumes of solids involving exponentials

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the volume of a solid obtained by rotating the region under the curve e^{-x^2}, bounded by y = 0, x = 0, and x = 1. The speaker mentions that e^{x^2} cannot be integrated symbolically and suggests using a Riemann Sum to solve the problem. Another person suggests using cylindrical shells and changing variables to simplify the integral. The conversation ends with them discussing the benefits of using this method.
graphic7
Gold Member
I'm attempting to find the volume of the solid obtained by rotating the region under the curve:

[tex]e^{-x^2}[/tex] Bounded by y = 0, x = 0, and x = 1.

I've done quite a few of these problems before, however, none of them have involved an exponential. If I recall correctly [tex]e^{x^2}[/tex] cannot be integrated, at least symbolically. So, therein lies the problem.

So far this is what I've done:

[tex]\int_0^1 \pi\left( e^{-x^2}\right)^2 dx[/tex]
[tex]\pi\int_0^1 e^{-2x^2} dx[/tex]

I've integrated that integral with Mathematica, and it returns a function that uses the error function, which I doubt is anything that I'm expected to come up with in this class.

Therefore, the only way I believe this problem can be completed is by finding the area under [tex]e^{2x^2}[/tex] on the interval [tex]\left[0 ,1\right][/tex] using a Riemann Sum.

Any thoughts?

Edit: Fixed a typo involving a constant in the integral.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I must be falling asleep. I decided that I was going about finding the volume the wrong way. For one, the question asks that you rotate the function around the y-axis, therefore, using the method of cylindrical shells would be easier than solving for x and integrating over dy.

I'm still going to run into the same problem, though - integrating [tex]e^{-x^2}[/tex].

It's pretty amazing how just talking about a problem can clear a few things up.

graphic7 said:
If I recall correctly [tex]e^{-x^2}[/tex] cannot be integrated, at least symbolically.

In answer to 1. You cannot find a primitive, but you can evaluate definite integrals using multiple integrals. What u need to do is change variables so u get ur integral in terms of [tex]e^{-x^2}[/tex], then calculate that integral with the fact that
[tex]\int_0^1 e^{-x^2}dx=\left(\int_0^1 \int_0^1e^{-x^2-y^2}dxdy\right)^{1/2}[/tex] and then use polar coordinates. The domain can be a little tricky though.

In answer to two. Its easier that way cus the limits of integration are now from 0 to infinitum, which makes the integra much easier. am i right? (im falling asleep too :P)

Last edited:

Related to Finding volumes of solids involving exponentials

What is the formula for finding the volume of a solid involving exponentials?

The formula for finding the volume of a solid involving exponentials is V = ∫(a,b)A(x)dx, where A(x) is the cross-sectional area of the solid at a given value of x and (a,b) represents the bounds of integration.

How do I determine the cross-sectional area of a solid involving exponentials?

To determine the cross-sectional area of a solid involving exponentials, you can use the formula A(x) = πr^2, where r is the radius of the cross-section at a given value of x.

Can I use the same formula for finding volume for all solids involving exponentials?

No, the formula for finding the volume of a solid involving exponentials may vary depending on the shape and dimensions of the solid. It is important to use the correct formula for the specific solid you are trying to find the volume of.

What is the purpose of finding the volume of a solid involving exponentials?

The volume of a solid involving exponentials is an important measurement in mathematics and physics. It allows us to understand the physical characteristics and properties of different objects and can be used in various applications, such as engineering and construction.

Are there any real-life applications of finding volumes of solids involving exponentials?

Yes, finding volumes of solids involving exponentials can be applied in real-life scenarios such as determining the volume of a water tank, calculating the capacity of a container, or finding the volume of a curved structure, like a dome or arch.