Finding Vout from circuit contain diodes.

In summary, the conversation discusses finding an R value to achieve a specified Vo of 80mV with two identical diodes conducting 10mA at 0.7V and 100mA at 0.8V. The approach involves solving for n using the given information and then using Kirchoff's laws and Ohm's law to solve for the required value of R. The concept of ideality factor (n) is also explained, which is a constant for a diode operating at a fixed temperature.
dla

Homework Statement

I am suppose to find an R value so that Vo=80mV given that both diodes are identical, conducting 10mA at 0.7 V and 100 mA at 0.8 V

Homework Equations

[itex]I = I_{s} e^{v/{V_{t}n}}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I get that if the diodes are the same n, V_t and I_s are the same. So first I need to solve for n by using the equation and information above to create 2 equations assuming room temperature. Then I can make two equations from D1 and D2 and combine them to solve for V.

My main question is how did they know that Vo=V_2-V_1, voltage drop of diode 2 - voltage drop of diode 1. Why not the other way around? It might be simple but I am having a hard time seeing it any help will be much appreciated.

The circuit is attached. Thanks.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    6.8 KB · Views: 516
Physics news on Phys.org
No, n is the ideality factor of the diode. It is a "fudge factor" that accounts for some real-life departures from the ideal Schockley equation, and is usually set to one in the absence of specific information about the device being used.

The voltage at the common anode connection is pinned by the voltage drop of diode 1--there is no choice, because its drop sits between the source and ground--so it is V1. The drop V2 is determined by the current through the right branch, which depends partly on R, so Vo=V1-V2. The trick is to find how the current splits. You'll use Kirchoff's laws, Ohm's law and the Schockley equation to solve your problem.

My main question is how did they know that Vo=V_2-V_1

By applying KVL around the loop... Earth -> resistor -> D1 -> D2 -> Earth

+Vo + V_1 + (-V_2) = 0

Rearrange to give

Vo = V_2 - V_1

dla said:

Homework Statement

I am suppose to find an R value so that Vo=80mV given that both diodes are identical, conducting 10mA at 0.7 V and 100 mA at 0.8 V

Homework Equations

[itex]I = I_{s} e^{v/{V_{t}n}}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I get that if the diodes are the same n, V_t and I_s are the same. So first I need to solve for n by using the equation and information above to create 2 equations assuming room temperature. Then I can make two equations from D1 and D2 and combine them to solve for V.

This is exctly the right approach. Use the given diode voltages at 10 mA and 100 mA to solve for n.

Then the rest is just summing currents to zero at the anodes node.

Sorry, looks like I misread the problem. I took it as D1 operated at 10 mA and .7V, D2 at 100 mA and .8V. Apologies to the dla and rude man. Those two sets of values are sufficient to solve for Is and n, after which the problem can be solved as the other respondents said.

Thanks for the replies everyone. And I see it now CWatters thank you.

Actually marcusl your reply made me wonder how did we know that n is not 1?

When I made the two equations, I thought I had three unknowns at first: n, V_T and I_s. I didn't know if I should have assumed n=1 or assumed V_T was at room temperature and use V_T=25 mV. I ended up doing the latter because the solution showed it.

But if anyone can explain that would be great.

dla said:
Thanks for the replies everyone. And I see it now CWatters thank you.

Actually marcusl your reply made me wonder how did we know that n is not 1?

When I made the two equations, I thought I had three unknowns at first: n, V_T and I_s. I didn't know if I should have assumed n=1 or assumed V_T was at room temperature and use V_T=25 mV. I ended up doing the latter because the solution showed it.

But if anyone can explain that would be great.

n and VT are both constants for a diode that is operating at a fixed temperature. That means that ##nV_T## is also a constant. So even if you assumed the wrong value for VT, the "variable" n that pops out of your solving for n from the given potential and current values would compensate. No problem!

I find it convenient to replace n and VT with a single variable, Vx, when the particulars of n and VT separately are not relevant.

Oh that makes a lot more sense! Very much appreciated, thanks gneill!

Related to Finding Vout from circuit contain diodes.

1. How do diodes affect the output voltage in a circuit?

Diodes act as one-way valves for electrical current. This means that they allow current to flow in one direction, but block it in the other direction. In a circuit, this can affect the output voltage by either reducing it or completely blocking it, depending on the direction of current flow through the diode.

2. Can diodes be used to control the output voltage in a circuit?

Yes, diodes can be used to control the output voltage in a circuit. By placing diodes in specific configurations, such as in series or parallel, the amount of current flowing through them can be controlled, thus affecting the output voltage of the circuit.

3. How do I calculate the output voltage in a circuit with diodes?

The output voltage in a circuit with diodes can be calculated by using Kirchhoff's voltage law. This involves analyzing the voltage drops across all the components in the circuit, including the diodes, and using Ohm's law to calculate the total voltage drop. The remaining voltage will be the output voltage.

4. What happens if I use a diode with a different forward voltage in a circuit?

If a diode with a different forward voltage is used in a circuit, it can affect the output voltage. This is because the forward voltage of a diode determines the threshold at which it starts conducting current. Using a diode with a higher forward voltage will result in a higher threshold and a lower output voltage, and vice versa.

5. Can I use multiple diodes in a circuit to increase the output voltage?

Yes, multiple diodes can be used in a circuit to increase the output voltage. This can be achieved by connecting the diodes in series, which will add their individual voltage drops together to increase the total output voltage. However, it is important to note that there are limits to how many diodes can be used in this way before the voltage drop becomes too high and the circuit stops functioning.